Mar 25, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are in the Eastern Conference for the first time this season, and the two former Western Conference teams and Central Division mates are battling it out for precious points late in 2013-14. Their latest skirmish takes place on NBCSN and can also be viewed via the live stream link below.
The Red Wings currently hold the East’s top wild card spot with 80 points in 71 games played after taking three points in two games against the Minnesota Wild this past weekend. Gustav Nyquist is emerging as a go-to player in Detroit’s injury-depleted lineup.
The Wings don’t hold their spot by a very wide margin at all. Other active teams including Toronto (vs. St. Louis) and Washington (vs. Los Angeles) could leapfrog them; Columbus can also pass Detroit with a regulation victory thanks to tiebreaker advantages.
In other words, a lot is on the line and the East playoff picture can change drastically – maybe a few times – tonight, so it should be a fun situation to watch.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)