Mar 25, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are in the Eastern Conference for the first time this season, and the two former Western Conference teams and Central Division mates are battling it out for precious points late in 2013-14. Their latest skirmish takes place on NBCSN and can also be viewed via the live stream link below.
The Red Wings currently hold the East’s top wild card spot with 80 points in 71 games played after taking three points in two games against the Minnesota Wild this past weekend. Gustav Nyquist is emerging as a go-to player in Detroit’s injury-depleted lineup.
The Wings don’t hold their spot by a very wide margin at all. Other active teams including Toronto (vs. St. Louis) and Washington (vs. Los Angeles) could leapfrog them; Columbus can also pass Detroit with a regulation victory thanks to tiebreaker advantages.
In other words, a lot is on the line and the East playoff picture can change drastically – maybe a few times – tonight, so it should be a fun situation to watch.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35