Mar 25, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
No rookie has played more than Seth Jones this year but tonight, the Preds’ defenseman will miss his first game of the season due to concussion-like symptoms.
Jones, 19, suffered the injury during Sunday’s win over Chicago following a heavy hit into the boards. He left after playing just 5:48 and didn’t return.
Michael Del Zotto, who’s been a healthy scratch in recent games, will draw into the lineup to replace Jones, who is the only rookie skater this season to have topped the 1,400-minutes played plateau. Jones has 24 points through 72 games this season and is averaging 19:55 TOI per game.
The Preds are being careful with the concussion diagnosis — as evident by the “concussion-like symptoms” tag — something head coach Barry Trotz explained prior to tonight’s tilt against Colorado.
“With him we’re going to be very cautious,” Trotz said, per NHL.com. “Good young player who’s got a long and I think a very good career ahead of him. We’ll make sure he’s fully healthy.
“Our training staff will do that. We’re not going to put him in a situation that’s going to have any effects on him later.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5