Mar 25, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
No rookie has played more than Seth Jones this year but tonight, the Preds’ defenseman will miss his first game of the season due to concussion-like symptoms.
Jones, 19, suffered the injury during Sunday’s win over Chicago following a heavy hit into the boards. He left after playing just 5:48 and didn’t return.
Michael Del Zotto, who’s been a healthy scratch in recent games, will draw into the lineup to replace Jones, who is the only rookie skater this season to have topped the 1,400-minutes played plateau. Jones has 24 points through 72 games this season and is averaging 19:55 TOI per game.
The Preds are being careful with the concussion diagnosis — as evident by the “concussion-like symptoms” tag — something head coach Barry Trotz explained prior to tonight’s tilt against Colorado.
“With him we’re going to be very cautious,” Trotz said, per NHL.com. “Good young player who’s got a long and I think a very good career ahead of him. We’ll make sure he’s fully healthy.
“Our training staff will do that. We’re not going to put him in a situation that’s going to have any effects on him later.”
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18