Mar 25, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
No rookie has played more than Seth Jones this year but tonight, the Preds’ defenseman will miss his first game of the season due to concussion-like symptoms.
Jones, 19, suffered the injury during Sunday’s win over Chicago following a heavy hit into the boards. He left after playing just 5:48 and didn’t return.
Michael Del Zotto, who’s been a healthy scratch in recent games, will draw into the lineup to replace Jones, who is the only rookie skater this season to have topped the 1,400-minutes played plateau. Jones has 24 points through 72 games this season and is averaging 19:55 TOI per game.
The Preds are being careful with the concussion diagnosis — as evident by the “concussion-like symptoms” tag — something head coach Barry Trotz explained prior to tonight’s tilt against Colorado.
“With him we’re going to be very cautious,” Trotz said, per NHL.com. “Good young player who’s got a long and I think a very good career ahead of him. We’ll make sure he’s fully healthy.
“Our training staff will do that. We’re not going to put him in a situation that’s going to have any effects on him later.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54