Mar 25, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
No rookie has played more than Seth Jones this year but tonight, the Preds’ defenseman will miss his first game of the season due to concussion-like symptoms.
Jones, 19, suffered the injury during Sunday’s win over Chicago following a heavy hit into the boards. He left after playing just 5:48 and didn’t return.
Michael Del Zotto, who’s been a healthy scratch in recent games, will draw into the lineup to replace Jones, who is the only rookie skater this season to have topped the 1,400-minutes played plateau. Jones has 24 points through 72 games this season and is averaging 19:55 TOI per game.
The Preds are being careful with the concussion diagnosis — as evident by the “concussion-like symptoms” tag — something head coach Barry Trotz explained prior to tonight’s tilt against Colorado.
“With him we’re going to be very cautious,” Trotz said, per NHL.com. “Good young player who’s got a long and I think a very good career ahead of him. We’ll make sure he’s fully healthy.
“Our training staff will do that. We’re not going to put him in a situation that’s going to have any effects on him later.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)