Mar 25, 2014, 12:49 PM EST
If the Jackets do end up missing the playoffs, they’ll no doubt be left kicking themselves for losing to Carolina at home last week and getting shut out by the Islanders on the road Sunday.
“These points are huge right now,” center Ryan Johansen said after the 2-0 defeat on Long Island. “Against a team like the Islanders, who are playing spoiler right now, it’s very frustrating. We’ve got to learn from it but we can’t dwell on this.”
Indeed, if the Jackets get a win tonight versus Detroit (on NBCSN), their playoff hopes will improve rather dramatically.
Combine that with free-falling Toronto being an underdog at home to St. Louis and Washington facing a tough matchup versus Los Angeles, and tonight could be seriously pivotal for Columbus, a much-maligned franchise that badly needs to make the postseason in order to regain a measure of respect in the local market.
Attendance-wise, the Jackets are averaging just 14,325 fans this season; only Phoenix (13,585) is lower than that.
Still, there remains a feeling that Columbus could be a great NHL town, if only the Jackets could become a perennial playoff team, as opposed to the one that’s made the postseason just once since entering the league in 2000.
Related: Columbus’ power play is just awful
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)