OSU’s Meyer apologizes for ‘no pro teams in Columbus’ remark, says he’s pulling for Jackets

Mar 25, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT

UrbanMeyer Getty Images

Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer has apologized to the Columbus Blue Jackets and Columbus Crew (MLS) for remarks he made last week claiming Columbus is “a large city that really has no professional sports team.”

Here’s the full text message Meyer sent to the Columbus Dispatch:

“I have great respect for both the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Columbus Crew organizations. The intent of my comment about football recruiting was that Columbus doesn’t have professional football. I should have made that point clear, and I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

“I am pulling for the Blue Jackets in their playoff drive and I wish the best for the Crew under its new leadership.”

Meyer’s original remarks were to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, in an interview about his time as a Braves draftee (Meyer was taken in the 13th round of the ’82 MLB draft, and spent two years in Atlanta’s minor-league system.)

Q: Why should Georgia’s elite 2015 prospects consider Ohio State?

UM: You get a premium education with the opportunity to go compete for a national championship in a large city that really has no professional sports team. There’s a lot to be offered up here.

Feel free to comment on the “misunderstanding” in the comments section.

Related: NHL on NBCSN: Detroit, Columbus battle for edge in Wild Card race

1. guitarhunterdude - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

MLS doesn’t really count. And until this year (and sort of last year), the Jackets have… been the Jackets.

• dirt2013 - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Maybe he doesn’t consider them pro’s until they make more than his football players?

• 950003cups - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

John McConnell has officially responded to Mr Urban Meyer.

2. phillyphannnn83 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’ll buy it

3. btlpper68 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That’s just… Embaressing

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

wait, did you mean to spell embarrassing wrong? not sure if i missed something here.

• 11111111111a22 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I never right things write. The grammar on this site….

4. Mr. Miller - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM

It’s a bit of a stretch, but I’ll give it to him…

5. sjsharks66 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I can see where the misunderstanding comes from. His focus is football. When asked a question about football he is going to speak about it as if that’s the only sport that matters. It’s the same here in the Bay Area. The Niners, Raiders, Giants or A’s really don’t care about the Sharks until it’s playoff time.

6. JoeAvg - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Hockey? What? Oh yeah…forgot about that. Damn, now I gotta do a public retraction. What a pain in the..sigh.

And I have to live in this state. Anybody wanna buy a pothole?

7. davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

“Prove me wrong, Blue Jackets… prove me wrong!”

• davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM

You know, disabling the img tag really undermines my ability to make excellent Simpsons references.

*cough*
      *cough*

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Maybe you just haven’t been drinking enough malk.

8. ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

hahaha he apologized with a text. good stuff.

9. hockeyflow33 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM

The never-ending run of forced public apologies never ceases to amaze me.

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM

we’re not all sh** bags, flow. some of us understand the importance of an apology and choose to do it ourselves from time to time.

• hockeyflow33 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM

You do understand that these aren’t real apologies though, right?

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

[copy/paste of my last post.]

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

just because you wouldn’t apologize because “FREE SPEECH!”, doesn’t mean the rest of us wouldn’t.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I can’t believe these public figures being FORCED to behave as though they were public figures or something.

The injustice of it all!

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM

“we’re not all sh** bags, flow. some of us understand the importance of an apology…”

This is great! Perfect way to put it.

Priceless. Just…. awesome.

10. grumpyoleman - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

He was trying to say his players get paid more than the two professional teams in town.

• paperlions - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

This. He meant there was not OTHER pro football team in town….just the Buckeyes.

11. psousa1 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I’m sure he meant there was not a pro football team in the city. Everyone calm down.

12. greej1938l - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM

You have Cincinnati and Cleveland. You greedy bastard

13. hockeyfan28 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

OSU still has a higher payroll then the Jackets

14. dolanster - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

He was right the first time. ; )

15. wjarvis - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Yes Columbus has professional teams, I’m sure his point is that OSU is much more popular than the blue jackets and crew combined. I like hockey much more than college football, but that that is not the popular opinion nationally (even more so in Columbus). The Blue Jackets average 14k a game, the Crew 17k, the Buckeyes 105k.

The stars on the OSU football team get recognized a lot more in Columbus than the stars of the blue jackets and crew, I guarantee it.

16. muckleflugga - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM

it’s not hard to understand why meyer would miss something so obvious

with the ncaa buried in sixteen feet of hype, these guys rarely come up to breathe … the potential to fertilize every desert in the world with a manure so rich and fine is mind-boggling

it’s all so … huge … important … world shaking

boring

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

muckle on point again.

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Ibie… clearly you’re muckle. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

And in case someone launches a profanity leaden attack on me for suggesting this, let me just state that I’m making fun of the folk that are claiming everyone is everyone else. Ibie, you’re alright.

• thailer35 - Mar 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I think we spend more time on this site now talking about multiple/false usernames than we do talking about hockey.

17. mshantz22 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Urban Meyer is an a**. Enough said.

• comeonnowguys - Mar 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM

He really is. He should be due for a scandal soon. So there’s that.

18. vstar1us - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Open mouth insert foot, any way he just might have been right!

19. kfraser91 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

what do you expect from that school in ohio…

20. hockeydon10 - Mar 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Wait… what?! That’s no mountain! It’s a mole-hill!

21. dmarado - Mar 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

He probably didn’t even realize those teams exist until he said they did not and was told otherwise. tOSU rules Columbus and most of Ohio, deal with it.

22. imgoingtowichita - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Had he not used the word ‘really’ in his initial answer I would buy that he is too consumed in his ‘the’ little world.
    With adding the ‘really’, I view it as a slight with purpose, suggesting that his program IS the only game in town. I’m not saying he is wrong, Doug MacLean on TV/radio and former Jacket GM has said the same, it’s just to always be aware of your choice of words.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches