Mar 25, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer has apologized to the Columbus Blue Jackets and Columbus Crew (MLS) for remarks he made last week claiming Columbus is “a large city that really has no professional sports team.”
Here’s the full text message Meyer sent to the Columbus Dispatch:
“I have great respect for both the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Columbus Crew organizations. The intent of my comment about football recruiting was that Columbus doesn’t have professional football. I should have made that point clear, and I do apologize for the misunderstanding.
“I am pulling for the Blue Jackets in their playoff drive and I wish the best for the Crew under its new leadership.”
Meyer’s original remarks were to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, in an interview about his time as a Braves draftee (Meyer was taken in the 13th round of the ’82 MLB draft, and spent two years in Atlanta’s minor-league system.)
Q: Why should Georgia’s elite 2015 prospects consider Ohio State?
UM: You get a premium education with the opportunity to go compete for a national championship in a large city that really has no professional sports team. There’s a lot to be offered up here.
Feel free to comment on the “misunderstanding” in the comments section.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)