Mar 25, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
A healthy scratch the past two games, Sabres forward Ville Leino will be back in the lineup tonight in Montreal, and boy does he…not sound all that excited about it.
Per the Buffalo News (which has the audio), Leino was asked about the fact he has no goals and and just 12 assists in 50 games, and whether that lack of offense was weighing on him.
“I’m sure it weighs on me, too, but obviously there’s a lot of other guys on the team, too, that hasn’t been able to really help that much either,” he said.
Which is absolutely true, though even relative to most of the other struggling Buffalo players, Leino has had a poor season.
“There’s so much going on in here in the organization with how this team’s been lately,” he said, before acknowledging he “can’t really do anything about” the talk his days with the club are numbered.
The Sabres still have both their compliance buyouts left. One will surely be used on Leino, who’s signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million. Drew Stafford is another potential candidate, though he’s been playing a bit better of late.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)