Mar 25, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
A rough season might have hit a new low for Cam Ward on Tuesday, as the New York Islanders didn’t need a full seven minutes of game time to boot him from the Carolina Hurricanes’ net.
Ward, 30, allowed three goals on nine shots in 6:12 of action. To be fair to him, the Islanders generated a 10-0 shot disadvantage in the early going tonight, so the veteran netminder might just be the scapegoat in this case.
(Regardless, it’s difficult to deny the impression that Anton Khudobin will be their clear No. 1 going into 2014-15.)
While Carolina’s playoff hopes are slim (71 points with 11 games left, including this one), it seems like the Islanders are playing more like the team desperately trying to stay in the postseason picture.
Ward came into tonight’s game with a 9-11-5 record and worrisome .896 save percentage, so it’s not like this is just an isolated incident.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)