Mar 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Greiss goes for Coyotes
Greiss came on in relief of Smith during last night’s 4-3 OT loss to the Rangers, allowing two goals on nine shots — including the winner in the extra frame. Now, the 28-year-old German will carry the load until Smith is healthy. Greiss hasn’t played much this year, boasting a 7-5-2 record in just 16 appearances, but does have a good save percentage (.924) and goals-against average (2.38).
For the Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in goal.
Miller looks to rebound
Ryan Miller is aiming to snap his first slump as a Blue tonight when he squares off against Toronto.
After starting 8-0-1 with St. Louis, Miller has lost his last two starts while allowing seven goals, posting an .844 save percentage. Miller’s slide was exacerbated by the fact his backup, Brian Elliott, was stellar in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Pittsburgh, stopping all 33 shot faced for his fourth shutout of the season.
For the Leafs, no official starter has been named… but it appears Jonathan Bernier is set to return from a groin injury.
Sabres at Canadiens: Matthew Hackett vs. Carey Price
Avs at Preds: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado; no word yet on a Nashville starter.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5