Mar 25, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Former Vancouver Canucks owner John McCaw Jr. contended that the Ontario Superior Court of Justice didn’t have the right to make him testify in Steve Moore’s $38 million lawsuit against the Canucks and Todd Bertuzzi. Ronald Dash, who is a case-management master, disagreed.
“(McCaw) was the person at the top of the organization and ultimately responsible for the actions of management and for either setting the corporate culture of the organization or delegating the responsibility to others,” Dash wrote, according to the Canadian Press.
McCaw Jr. also claims that he doesn’t have material evidence to offer, but Dash feels that there are relevant questions that the defense can raise.
“Did (McCaw) encourage retribution against Moore?” Dash wrote. “Alternatively, did he take steps to ‘turn down the temperature’ by directing management to take steps to prevent retaliation?”
Dash has consequently ordered McCaw, who lives in Seattle, to testify in the case via video. The trial is scheduled to begin in September.
This comes after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly “indicated a willingness to participate as required.”
McCaw has agreed to pay half of any judgment in Moore’s favor. The Canucks were sold to the Aquilini family in 2007.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)