Mar 25, 2014, 10:07 AM EST
Trevor van Riemsdyk has signed a two-year, entry-level deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.
The 22-year-old defenseman was an undrafted free agent and has spent the last three seasons with the University of New Hampshire. He was part of the Hockey East All-Rookie Team in 2011-12 and was selected to the NCAA All-American First Team the following season.
He suffered a fractured ankle during the 2013-14 campaign, but still managed to record four goals and 23 points in 26 games.
He’s also the younger brother of 24-year-old forward James van Riemsdyk, who has set new career-highs this season with 27 goals and 56 points in 71 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Like Trevor, the elder van Riemsdyk played for New Hampshire, but only after the Philadelphia Flyers took him with the second overall pick in 2007.
The younger van Riemsdyk’s contract doesn’t start until 2014-15, so this doesn’t count as the first campaign of the deal.
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)