Bruins’ Lucic calls Canadiens’ Emelin ‘a chicken’

Mar 25, 2014, 1:43 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Boston Bruins Getty Images

Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic unleashed on Montreal Canadiens defenseman Alexei Emelin – but not with his fists.

Lucic had some strong words for Emelin following Monday’s heated match-up between the two Original Six rivals, which was won in the shootout by the Canadiens.

Lucic took issue with a hip check Emelin threw on him in the first period, drawing a response from Zdeno Chara. And Lucic didn’t hold back his feelings of the hit, or Emelin.

“Whether it’s fair, legal or whatever you want to call it, if he wasn’t scared, he would stand up and hit me and not go after my knees,” Lucic said, as per ESPN Boston.

“It just shows how big of a chicken he is that he needs to go down like that to take me down. It shows what kind of player he is, and on my end, you know you’ve got to keep your guard up at all times.”

Later in the game, it appeared Lucic caught Emelin with a spear, however he denied that.

There was another incident in the first period, in which two members of the Canadiens were hurt. Forward Dale Weise was hurt on a hit from Bruins’ Kevan Miller, who was called for cross checking on the play. Habs’ forward Travis Moen stepped in to fight Miller, but was knocked to the ice after taking a punch to the side of the head.

“I hope [Weise] is all right — both those guys. To be honest with you about the hit, I felt bad about it. I just kind of bumped into him,” Miller told CSNNE.com.

“I think he was a little off balance. I stood there just trying to make sure he was okay for a second, and Moen asked if I wanted to go. I just hope they’re both okay.”