Mar 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
After allowing a single goal in the first period, onlookers were confused to see Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky out and backup Curtis McElhinney (pictured) in to begin the second. It turns out that Bobrovsky’s flu-like symptoms got the best of him, forcing McElhinney into action, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
McElhinney, 30, logged 16:52 of action on March 18 and 27:31 on March 6, but hasn’t started since a Jan. 28 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
The journeyman netminder did see a lot of activity in December, going 5-4-0 and appearing in 10 games while Bobrovsky dealt with an injury.
He’s 8-9-1 with a .907 save percentage and 2.79 GAA overall so far this season.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)