Mar 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
After allowing a single goal in the first period, onlookers were confused to see Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky out and backup Curtis McElhinney (pictured) in to begin the second. It turns out that Bobrovsky’s flu-like symptoms got the best of him, forcing McElhinney into action, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
McElhinney, 30, logged 16:52 of action on March 18 and 27:31 on March 6, but hasn’t started since a Jan. 28 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
The journeyman netminder did see a lot of activity in December, going 5-4-0 and appearing in 10 games while Bobrovsky dealt with an injury.
He’s 8-9-1 with a .907 save percentage and 2.79 GAA overall so far this season.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)