Bernier the likely starter for desperate Leafs

Mar 25, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT

Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle wasn’t committing to anything this morning, but the signs point to the return of Jonathan Bernier in Toronto’s net tonight against St. Louis.

Despite Carlyle’s guardedness, Bernier was the first goalie to leave the ice following the morning skate, which usually indicates the starter.

If it is Bernier tonight, it will be his first start since hurting his groin on Mar. 13 in Los Angeles. James Reimer has started every game since, losing all five while surrendering 18 goals combined and becoming the face, warranted or not, of his team’s struggles.

Toronto’s losing streak has led to its playoff chances falling to 34.2 percent, according to Sports Club Stats. A win tonight over the Presidents’ Trophy frontrunners would not only be important for the much-needed two points, but also to restore some confidence to a team that’s verging on another epic collapse.

With the possible exception of Colorado, no team has gotten more out of its goaltenders than the Leafs, who have only outshot their opponents 14 times this season.

1. davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM

“Everything’s possible” is a pretty epic deflection.

Will the Leafs start Bernier?

Reimer?

MacIntyre?

Rick St. Croix, the goaltending coach?

Hudson, the Toronto Zoo’s resident polar bear?

Rob Ford (would he pass a drug test)?

Everything’s possible!

• govtminion - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Nailing a couple of 2X4s over the front of the net and painting them blue and white is probably a better option than Reimer right now… Granted, I don’t get to see the Leafs often from where I am, but what I’ve seen has been bad goaltending- not that the rest of the team has been great either, but he’s made some pretty awful gaffes.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

“I don’t get to see the Leafs often from where I am”

Going to hazard a guess that this means “somewhere other than Canada” since we have many, many more opportunities to see the Leafs than most of us have ever asked for..

• govtminion - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

You’re right… I’m stuck with the Capitals (and I’m not a Caps fan anyway!)

2. blomfeld - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Question: Will he be Toronto’s savior ?

Answer: Were homesteaders glad to hear the bugle call when under siege by crazed savages ?

• davebabychreturns - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Nothing like some casual racism to liven up a discussion about a hockey team..

3. imgoingtowichita - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM

He (bernier) has played well enough that if he is and remains healthy they will likely make the playoffs.
    Honestly though, I would be okay with another collapse. It would be pretty hard to top the 12 minutes but c’mon Leafs, I know you can do it!!!

4. terrier92 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Hard to believe this franchise has not even been to a Stanley Cup finals in the post expansion era. I feel for their fans. Man that is loyalty I have a great picture of four leafs fans that sat next to me at Game 7 Bruins win last spring These poor guys were so distraught they couldn’t even talk

5. crazemastercraze - Mar 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM

It would be cool if the got Jean Claude van Damne to be the goalie, just like in that movie. That’d be awesome

Top 10 NHL Player Searches