Mar 25, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle wasn’t committing to anything this morning, but the signs point to the return of Jonathan Bernier in Toronto’s net tonight against St. Louis.
Despite Carlyle’s guardedness, Bernier was the first goalie to leave the ice following the morning skate, which usually indicates the starter.
If it is Bernier tonight, it will be his first start since hurting his groin on Mar. 13 in Los Angeles. James Reimer has started every game since, losing all five while surrendering 18 goals combined and becoming the face, warranted or not, of his team’s struggles.
Toronto’s losing streak has led to its playoff chances falling to 34.2 percent, according to Sports Club Stats. A win tonight over the Presidents’ Trophy frontrunners would not only be important for the much-needed two points, but also to restore some confidence to a team that’s verging on another epic collapse.
With the possible exception of Colorado, no team has gotten more out of its goaltenders than the Leafs, who have only outshot their opponents 14 times this season.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)