Mar 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Stoner, 29, was thought to have suffered a knee injury last week against the Devils, and has been ruled as week-to-week. The club has already called up Jon Blum in Stoner’s absence and has reportedly made a call to WHL Red Deer about the possibility of a Mathew Dumba emergency recall — Dumba, the seventh overall pick at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft, appeared in 13 games for the Wild this year, scoring two points.
Losing Stoner will hurt the Wild, though, as he’s provided them with an aggressive presence on the back end throughout the year. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder sits third on the team in hits this year, with 95, and leads all Wild skaters with 82 PIM.
The Stoner absence is also exacerbated by the fact another of Minnesota’s depth defensemen, Keith Ballard, is out with a groin injury. That’s left the Wild with just six healthy defensemen and forced Blum to play nearly 15 minutes in Sunday’s OT win over Detroit.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)