Mar 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Stoner, 29, was thought to have suffered a knee injury last week against the Devils, and has been ruled as week-to-week. The club has already called up Jon Blum in Stoner’s absence and has reportedly made a call to WHL Red Deer about the possibility of a Mathew Dumba emergency recall — Dumba, the seventh overall pick at the ’12 NHL Entry Draft, appeared in 13 games for the Wild this year, scoring two points.
Losing Stoner will hurt the Wild, though, as he’s provided them with an aggressive presence on the back end throughout the year. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder sits third on the team in hits this year, with 95, and leads all Wild skaters with 82 PIM.
The Stoner absence is also exacerbated by the fact another of Minnesota’s depth defensemen, Keith Ballard, is out with a groin injury. That’s left the Wild with just six healthy defensemen and forced Blum to play nearly 15 minutes in Sunday’s OT win over Detroit.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)