Mar 24, 2014, 10:03 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes didn’t get the win in New York, but when it comes to the bigger picture, things might be worse.
Coyotes’ goalie Mike Smith left Monday’s game against the New York Rangers with an apparent lower-body injury, suffered with less than eight minutes remaining in the third period.
With 7:34 remaining in regulation and the Coyotes leading 3-2, Smith favored his left leg and was in obvious discomfort after forward Derick Brassard fell on top of him following a scramble in front of the net.
He did not return. Thomas Greiss was forced to come into the game. The Rangers then proceeded to score the tying goal off the stick of Dan Girardi to send the game in overtime, where Ryan McDonagh scored the winner for New York. The Coyotes get the single point in a 4-3 loss.
However, the potential loss of their starting goalie could be huge, considering the Coyotes are in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race, sitting in the second Wild Card spot.
Here is a brief video explanation of the NHL’s new playoff format.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)