Video: Carter scores in Philly return

Mar 24, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

Though it’s been two years and two teams since Jeff Carter last played in Philadelphia, tonight’s return — the first time he’s played at Wells Fargo since being traded in 2011 — was probably a little more special than he let on.

As such, he decided to celebrate in style.

Carter opened the game’s scoring just 1:49 into the second period, converting an Alec Martinez pass for his team-leading 25th goal of the season:

Since being traded out of Philadelphia — reportedly because of their “hard-partying ways” — Carter and Mike Richards have enjoyed great success since being reunited in Los Angeles, where they won the Stanley Cup together in 2012.

For what it’s worth, Carter said he expected boos tonight in his first game back… and he got them:

1. orangegesus - Mar 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I’m shocked it didn’t sail over the crossbar.

• killerpgh - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM

You shouldn’t be that shocked. He has more goals then any member of the Flyers.

2. moarjam - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I don’t get why you’d boo him. He didn’t leave by choice and was devastated when he was moved.

• bencia823 - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Scott Hartnell’s ex wife was probably pretty upset as well

• moarjam - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Ugh. As much as I hate how litigious our society has become, I would still find great enjoyment if Carter goes “Brian Burke” on you, hunts you down and sues you for libel.

• sheckyrimshot - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

he was devastaded because he got traded to columbus. then proceeded to whine his way into a trade. i wont sit here and say he’s not a talented hockey player. but he was pretty much the antithesis of what flyers fans appreciate. dude almost never back checked, and when he did, it took some time. he never met a shot he didn’t like. he didnt get after the puck on the forecheck. he wasnt physical. and for the life of me, i have never seen a forward called offsides more than carter. by a large stretch. there’s a reason dudes like laperriere, brind’amour, hell, even mike richards were always fan favorites in philly. jeff carter.. not so much. its also worth noting that, you know… we’d boo your grandma if she had a crosby jersey on. you might not like it. but we don’t really care. you moron.

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM

lol this comment is awesome, just sayin.

• laxman1944 - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Pretty accurate assesment.

• moarjam - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

@shecky- I don’t doubt you’d boo an elderly woman…but you didn’t boo Richards and he was wearing the same jersey as Carter… you moron…

IDK most of you flyer fans just seem to have it out for him.

You say all these bad things about him (doesn’t backcheck, play defense, blah blah) but yet he does all that stuff for LA and Team Canada.

He was a big player on the flyers during their most successful teams since the Lindros days then gets traded (not his choice) and THEN gets the flyers an even better return for him. It just seems there’s very little reason to hold such ill will towards him.

• sheckyrimshot - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:54 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• moarjam - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM

oh ok…good point…

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

It’s philly. They boo head injuries and santa claus.

• goodolejr - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Well, head injuries kinda suck so yeah, everybody should boo them. We also only boo drunk Santas that swear at kids.

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I know. Most cases, i’m a philly apologist. I was just going for cheap laughs. Re-reading it, I’m realizing I failed. It’s really not that funny. Sorry :-p

• goodolejr - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Haha it’s all good. It just gets tiring to hear the same Santa bs over and over and over. Even Richards mentioned it last night when someone asked him if he expected to be booed. Like…come on guys, everybody knows Eagles fans are the worst. I mean, I see “1975” a billion times but they have NO Superbowl to reminisce about so it makes them sad inside, and sometimes they take it out on the wrong people and give the rest of the Philly fans a bad name. :-P

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I’ve been to the philly arena. In a rangers jersey, no less. The fans really aren’t that bad if you’re cool to them. I had a couple philly guys yell at me from a few seats down in my trip. By the end of the game, they were buying me beer because I was cool to them. Its all in how you treat people.

• goodolejr - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

You are 100% correct. And don’t get me wrong, a little banter is a good thing when it’s friendly and in jest. Sadly there are those select few that take things too far, and they’re a part of every fanbase. Like, for instance, those douchebags that knocked out that Rangers fan after the Winter Classic a few years back. Alas, there will always be a turd in the punchbowl no matter where you go. Luckily they’re outweighed by the majority who just want to have a good time.

• cofran2004 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM

That’s something that bothers me. On the way out of MSG on game, I heard some guys talking about how they were going to kick the ass of the flyers fan in front of them, and make his girlfriend watch. Now I had my ryan callahan jersey on under my coat, so they couldn’t see it, but my sister is a flyers fan, and she was wearing her eric wellwood phantoms jersey, as he’d been called up and she wanted to see him play (we’re from the town the Adirondack Phantoms play in). I put two and two together and realized these guys were planning on attacking me. I turned around and showed them I’m a rangers fan, and that my sister (whom doesn’t look much like me, so I understand how they could have mistaken her for my girlfriend) actually bought the tickets for my birthday, and they calmed down. They never actually apologized, but I was pretty disgusted with the situation.

The point? It’s not just the flyers that have turds floating in their punchbowl. My ‘fellow’ new york fans can be pretty big douche-nozzles too. I’d literally done or said nothing to them. They just didn’t like my sister’s jersey.

• cantstandstupid - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I was at the game last night and thought the same thing. Richards wasn’t booed when he returned last year, but he was definitely booed this time. I am and will never be a Carter fan, but he looked better than I’ve ever seen him play, but I guess you have to play harder when you return to a team that traded you.

Not sure if anyone else was at the game, but I got the feeling there were a lot people there only because the Flyers have been playing better…not real fans. People were booing for phantom calls and if they had any clue what the rules were, they wouldn’t be booing. There were 2 plays were Voracek clearing tripped over his own feet (a la Scotty Hartnell) and you can clearly see on the replay he wasn’t touched, but morons in my section were freaking out and unfortunately the clueless are usually the loudest.

GO FLYERS!!!

3. mcphillthy - Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Ahh man! There went the streak! Time to start a new streak at the next game.

4. joey4id - Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM

And there you go. One of the most complete players of the game returns to his old city and scores a goal.

• blomfeld - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Well said Joey, as always :)

KINGS 3 – FLIES 2

As an ardent, sexy and ‘taxpaying’ supporter of the reigning SC Champion LA Kings, this victory tonight is perhaps one of the most ‘satisfying’ which we’ve had all year ! Here we go into Philadelphia where the Flyers think they’re ‘all that’ and we beat them fair & square in regulation time … you just gotta love it man ! :) Nonetheless, I do have to admit that I’ve always associated the Flyers with organized crime. How can anyone ever forget that ‘pig’ Clarke breaking his stick over Kharlamov’s ankle in ’72, or his impaling of Darryl Sittler in ’75 ? And of course there was the incident in ’76, when Schultz & crew were at least ‘8 x rows deep’ in the stands here in Vancouver, beating the crap out of a bunch of hapless Canuck fans ! To me, the Flyers have always equaled ‘scum’ notwithstanding their legacy of ‘excellent’ goaltenders like Bernie Parent and Pelle Lindbergh. I’m therefore very happy tonight friends … not only for Jeff’s personal redemption, but more so for the fact that ‘decency’ has yet again carried the day !

GO KINGS GO !!! :)

TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!! :) :) :)

• parkway4 - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:40 AM

You forget the Blackhawks won it last year idiot? Richards partying has caught up to him in LA 10 goals on the year?! Enjoy that contract I’m sure I could go to manayunk and find your two boy carts and Richie doing a nice line of blow right now.

• laxman1944 - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Thank you for your warm and thoughtful insight to events that happened over 30 freaking years ago.

Such a tool.

• flyerspsu - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM

one of the most complete players in the game? not quite

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Carter a complete player? Now thats some funny shizz. lol

• President Charles Logan - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM

cup ring for carter 1975 disco balls for you fans…
        i think life is better in LA these days huh

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Cup ring for Carter does not translate into a complete player, not by a country mile. I don’t expect you to realize that since you’re too busy trolling Chucky.

I’ll keep my 1975 disco balls. They look bad ass hanging from my rearview mirror.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 26, 2014 at 2:44 AM

lol your team is just chalk full of complete players , you win a few games and all of a sudden your world beating chest pounders

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Lighten up Francis. The Flyers are playing very good hockey right now and that just irks the hell out of you.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

why would it irk me? im neutral i dont like anyone

• flyboystransport - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Complete players?????

5. President Charles Logan - Mar 25, 2014 at 2:05 AM

lol does anyone actually believe that joey and blomfeld arent the same person ?
    do a better job of separating your yall’s posts together … you do it quite frequently and too often… gives it away and makes it obvious

• joey4id - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM

If it’s so obvious that we are the same person (which we are not), why do you feel compelled to state the obvious? You think you’re smart, but in reality you’re not.

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

says a guy who also goes by Habib Marwan.

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM

do a better job of separating yall’s screen names to two different TV shows.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM

lol says the nancy that i always seem to antagonize with a mere few words i post… oh and pssst… ive had this same account for 2 years switched the name back and forth on it … slightly different then what joey and blomfeld do which ARE the same person with Several different accounts that have conversations with themselves.

6. tru2joelu4eva - Mar 25, 2014 at 3:33 AM

why are they booing? I thought he didn’t want to be traded.

7. macjacmccoy - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:33 AM

The 3rd was 1 of the worst officiated periods the Flyers have had to endure all season. Not only did the Refs miss 4 obvious penalties that ended Flyers possessions and hurt momentum that they will building, they then sent couturier to the box for one of the weakest slashes I’ve ever seen.

Man I was fuming, but it is what it is. No excuses. Every team has to go through games like that. It just sucks that it had to happen now. When they have multiple teams nipping at their heels for the final few playoff spots.

• kellyb9 - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I’m a Flyers fan, but I’m compelled to mention that Kings goal they took off the board for the weakest cross-check in history.

• ibieiniid - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM

honestly, I think Carter broke his stick on that play. i’m not 100% sure, but I watched it like 10 times in super slo-mo, and it’s tough to see, but he looks like he cracked his stick over Timonen’s back, but it didn’t fall apart, as we often see with these composite sticks.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

quit your damn whining

8. theageofquarrel - Mar 25, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Did he score with Hartnell’s wife too for old times sake?

9. kastout11 - Mar 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Philly needed the win, but the big must-win game is Wednesday against the Rangers. The Flyers won 5 of their last six and the Rangers are keeping up with their pace. I don’t like the Rangers, but they are definitely a more dangerous team now that they made the trade for St. Louis. Callahan is a good player, but not nearly as offensively gifted as St. Louis.

• President Charles Logan - Mar 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM

St Louis has what? 4 assists in like 11 games for them?

10. flyboystransport - Mar 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Anyone wanna bet carter gets amnestied this coming off season?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches