Mar 24, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
San Jose will be looking to punch its ticket to a 10th consecutive postseason tonight when it takes on the Flames in Calgary.
The scenario, per NHL.com:
The San Jose Sharks would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Calgary Flames OR if the New York Rangers defeat the Phoenix Coyotes in regulation OR if the Winnipeg Jets defeat the Dallas Stars in regulation OR if both the Coyotes and Stars lose in overtime or a shootout.
So, to make things easy — beat Calgary in regulation, or go to overtime/shootout, and the Sharks are in.
San Jose’s playoff streak tends to get lost in the shuffle given all the focus on Detroit — the Red Wings are gunning for a 23rd straight postseason appearance — but it’s definitely one that deserves attention.
Should the Sharks push their streak to 10 seasons, it’ll be just the 22nd time NHL history the feat has been accomplished. It’ll also be a testament to how consistent the club has been over the last 10 years — just two head coaches (Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan), three different leading scorers (Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton) and a regular-season winning percentage that’s never dipped below .585.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)