Mar 24, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
San Jose will be looking to punch its ticket to a 10th consecutive postseason tonight when it takes on the Flames in Calgary.
The scenario, per NHL.com:
The San Jose Sharks would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Calgary Flames OR if the New York Rangers defeat the Phoenix Coyotes in regulation OR if the Winnipeg Jets defeat the Dallas Stars in regulation OR if both the Coyotes and Stars lose in overtime or a shootout.
So, to make things easy — beat Calgary in regulation, or go to overtime/shootout, and the Sharks are in.
San Jose’s playoff streak tends to get lost in the shuffle given all the focus on Detroit — the Red Wings are gunning for a 23rd straight postseason appearance — but it’s definitely one that deserves attention.
Should the Sharks push their streak to 10 seasons, it’ll be just the 22nd time NHL history the feat has been accomplished. It’ll also be a testament to how consistent the club has been over the last 10 years — just two head coaches (Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan), three different leading scorers (Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton) and a regular-season winning percentage that’s never dipped below .585.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)