Mar 24, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
San Jose will be looking to punch its ticket to a 10th consecutive postseason tonight when it takes on the Flames in Calgary.
The scenario, per NHL.com:
The San Jose Sharks would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Calgary Flames OR if the New York Rangers defeat the Phoenix Coyotes in regulation OR if the Winnipeg Jets defeat the Dallas Stars in regulation OR if both the Coyotes and Stars lose in overtime or a shootout.
So, to make things easy — beat Calgary in regulation, or go to overtime/shootout, and the Sharks are in.
San Jose’s playoff streak tends to get lost in the shuffle given all the focus on Detroit — the Red Wings are gunning for a 23rd straight postseason appearance — but it’s definitely one that deserves attention.
Should the Sharks push their streak to 10 seasons, it’ll be just the 22nd time NHL history the feat has been accomplished. It’ll also be a testament to how consistent the club has been over the last 10 years — just two head coaches (Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan), three different leading scorers (Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton) and a regular-season winning percentage that’s never dipped below .585.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)