Mar 24, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
San Jose will be looking to punch its ticket to a 10th consecutive postseason tonight when it takes on the Flames in Calgary.
The scenario, per NHL.com:
The San Jose Sharks would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Calgary Flames OR if the New York Rangers defeat the Phoenix Coyotes in regulation OR if the Winnipeg Jets defeat the Dallas Stars in regulation OR if both the Coyotes and Stars lose in overtime or a shootout.
So, to make things easy — beat Calgary in regulation, or go to overtime/shootout, and the Sharks are in.
San Jose’s playoff streak tends to get lost in the shuffle given all the focus on Detroit — the Red Wings are gunning for a 23rd straight postseason appearance — but it’s definitely one that deserves attention.
Should the Sharks push their streak to 10 seasons, it’ll be just the 22nd time NHL history the feat has been accomplished. It’ll also be a testament to how consistent the club has been over the last 10 years — just two head coaches (Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan), three different leading scorers (Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton) and a regular-season winning percentage that’s never dipped below .585.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)