Mar 24, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
San Jose will be looking to punch its ticket to a 10th consecutive postseason tonight when it takes on the Flames in Calgary.
The scenario, per NHL.com:
The San Jose Sharks would clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs if they get at least one point against the Calgary Flames OR if the New York Rangers defeat the Phoenix Coyotes in regulation OR if the Winnipeg Jets defeat the Dallas Stars in regulation OR if both the Coyotes and Stars lose in overtime or a shootout.
So, to make things easy — beat Calgary in regulation, or go to overtime/shootout, and the Sharks are in.
San Jose’s playoff streak tends to get lost in the shuffle given all the focus on Detroit — the Red Wings are gunning for a 23rd straight postseason appearance — but it’s definitely one that deserves attention.
Should the Sharks push their streak to 10 seasons, it’ll be just the 22nd time NHL history the feat has been accomplished. It’ll also be a testament to how consistent the club has been over the last 10 years — just two head coaches (Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan), three different leading scorers (Jonathan Cheechoo, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton) and a regular-season winning percentage that’s never dipped below .585.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 13
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 13
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)