Mar 24, 2014, 6:54 PM EST
Monday was a rough one around NHL rinks — and this was prior to games getting underway.
In Edmonton, goalie Viktor Fasth suffered what’s believed to be a sprained neck after getting bowled over by Anton Lander during practice. Fasth was down on the ice for several minutes following the collision and had to be helped off — but, according to Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, the Swedish ‘tender doesn’t appear to have suffered a concussion.
With Fasth hurt, the Oilers have recalled Laurent Brossoit from AHL Oklahoma City on an emergency basis. The Oilers next play on Tuesday night, when they host the Sharks at Rexall.
The Coyotes, meanwhile, suffered a similar fate with forward Lauri Korpikoski, who was a late scratch for tonight’s game against the Rangers after taking a puck to the head in the morning skate.
Korpikoski was shaken up after taking the knock and did leave the practice surface; that said, Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett suggested the Finnish forward would be “fine” and able to play this evening.
Losing Korpikoski is a fairly big blow for the Coyotes, who are smack in the middle of the Western Conference playoff chase. He averages over 16 minutes a night and sits seventh among all forward with 24 points.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)