Mar 24, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Monday was a rough one around NHL rinks — and this was prior to games getting underway.
In Edmonton, goalie Viktor Fasth suffered what’s believed to be a sprained neck after getting bowled over by Anton Lander during practice. Fasth was down on the ice for several minutes following the collision and had to be helped off — but, according to Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, the Swedish ‘tender doesn’t appear to have suffered a concussion.
With Fasth hurt, the Oilers have recalled Laurent Brossoit from AHL Oklahoma City on an emergency basis. The Oilers next play on Tuesday night, when they host the Sharks at Rexall.
The Coyotes, meanwhile, suffered a similar fate with forward Lauri Korpikoski, who was a late scratch for tonight’s game against the Rangers after taking a puck to the head in the morning skate.
Korpikoski was shaken up after taking the knock and did leave the practice surface; that said, Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett suggested the Finnish forward would be “fine” and able to play this evening.
Losing Korpikoski is a fairly big blow for the Coyotes, who are smack in the middle of the Western Conference playoff chase. He averages over 16 minutes a night and sits seventh among all forward with 24 points.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (81)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)