Mar 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Jim Rutherford is expected to give up his role as general manager of the Carolina Hurricanes, according to the News & Observer newspaper in Raleigh.
Rutherford — who may or may not stay on as club president — will reportedly be succeeded as GM by Ron Francis, currently the club’s vice president of hockey operations (and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame).
The Hurricanes are on pace to miss the playoffs for the fifth straight season. They’ve qualified for the postseason just once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006.
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 3
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18