Mar 24, 2014, 11:46 PM EST
It could be the defining moment in the Phoenix Coyotes regular season. On Monday, against the New York Rangers, Phoenix goalie Mike Smith left the game late in the third period with a lower-body injury.
Rangers’ forward Derick Brassard fell on top of Smith during a scramble in front of the Phoenix net. Smith was writhing in pain on the ice. The injury to Smith forced Thomas Greiss into the game. The Coyotes lost 4-3 in overtime.
There was no update from Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett on Smith after the game, other than it was a lower-body injury and that he was still being evaluated, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
The loss of Smith could make qualifying for the playoffs an extra difficult task for the Coyotes, who only lead the ninth-place Dallas Stars by just a single point after tonight’s results.
Smith, 32, has appeared in 62 games this season, with 27 wins, a .915 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)