Mar 24, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
It could be the defining moment in the Phoenix Coyotes regular season. On Monday, against the New York Rangers, Phoenix goalie Mike Smith left the game late in the third period with a lower-body injury.
Rangers’ forward Derick Brassard fell on top of Smith during a scramble in front of the Phoenix net. Smith was writhing in pain on the ice. The injury to Smith forced Thomas Greiss into the game. The Coyotes lost 4-3 in overtime.
There was no update from Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett on Smith after the game, other than it was a lower-body injury and that he was still being evaluated, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
The loss of Smith could make qualifying for the playoffs an extra difficult task for the Coyotes, who only lead the ninth-place Dallas Stars by just a single point after tonight’s results.
Smith, 32, has appeared in 62 games this season, with 27 wins, a .915 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)