Mar 24, 2014, 11:46 PM EST
It could be the defining moment in the Phoenix Coyotes regular season. On Monday, against the New York Rangers, Phoenix goalie Mike Smith left the game late in the third period with a lower-body injury.
Rangers’ forward Derick Brassard fell on top of Smith during a scramble in front of the Phoenix net. Smith was writhing in pain on the ice. The injury to Smith forced Thomas Greiss into the game. The Coyotes lost 4-3 in overtime.
There was no update from Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett on Smith after the game, other than it was a lower-body injury and that he was still being evaluated, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
The loss of Smith could make qualifying for the playoffs an extra difficult task for the Coyotes, who only lead the ninth-place Dallas Stars by just a single point after tonight’s results.
Smith, 32, has appeared in 62 games this season, with 27 wins, a .915 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 39
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (162)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)