Mar 24, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
It could be the defining moment in the Phoenix Coyotes regular season. On Monday, against the New York Rangers, Phoenix goalie Mike Smith left the game late in the third period with a lower-body injury.
Rangers’ forward Derick Brassard fell on top of Smith during a scramble in front of the Phoenix net. Smith was writhing in pain on the ice. The injury to Smith forced Thomas Greiss into the game. The Coyotes lost 4-3 in overtime.
There was no update from Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett on Smith after the game, other than it was a lower-body injury and that he was still being evaluated, as per Sarah McLellan of azcentral sports.
The loss of Smith could make qualifying for the playoffs an extra difficult task for the Coyotes, who only lead the ninth-place Dallas Stars by just a single point after tonight’s results.
Smith, 32, has appeared in 62 games this season, with 27 wins, a .915 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)