Mar 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Habs turn to Budaj
Peter Budaj will get the start tonight for Montreal, as the Habs look to stop Boston’s 12-game winning streak.
Budaj hasn’t played since Mar. 12 when, ironically enough, he played against the Bruins and allowed four goals on 32 shots in a loss. It’s unclear what, if anything, Budaj showed in that performance to warrant the start this evening — the Habs will play back-to-back games against Boston and Buffalo tonight and tomorrow, suggesting that Carey Price will go against the Sabres on Tuesday.
That said, perhaps Habs head coach Michel Therrien is playing the odds in starting Budaj. The Slovak netminder has been pretty good against Boston throughout his career, going 4-2-1 with a .913 save percentage and 2.64 GAA.
Tuukka Rask is likely to be in goal for the Bruins tonight.
Jets ride Montoya
Montoya has been fine, but not great, during the course of his temporary starting gig. He allowed three goals on 32 shots in Saturday’s loss to Carolina and has posted a 2.75 GAA and .901 save percentage since Pavelec got hurt.
Tonight, he’ll be up against Kari Lehtonen in the Stars’ net.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)