Mar 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Habs turn to Budaj
Peter Budaj will get the start tonight for Montreal, as the Habs look to stop Boston’s 12-game winning streak.
Budaj hasn’t played since Mar. 12 when, ironically enough, he played against the Bruins and allowed four goals on 32 shots in a loss. It’s unclear what, if anything, Budaj showed in that performance to warrant the start this evening — the Habs will play back-to-back games against Boston and Buffalo tonight and tomorrow, suggesting that Carey Price will go against the Sabres on Tuesday.
That said, perhaps Habs head coach Michel Therrien is playing the odds in starting Budaj. The Slovak netminder has been pretty good against Boston throughout his career, going 4-2-1 with a .913 save percentage and 2.64 GAA.
Tuukka Rask is likely to be in goal for the Bruins tonight.
Jets ride Montoya
Montoya has been fine, but not great, during the course of his temporary starting gig. He allowed three goals on 32 shots in Saturday’s loss to Carolina and has posted a 2.75 GAA and .901 save percentage since Pavelec got hurt.
Tonight, he’ll be up against Kari Lehtonen in the Stars’ net.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6