Mar 24, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
It had a playoff atmosphere, as the Montreal Canadiens went into Boston to face the red-hot Bruins.
This was a nasty, hard-hitting meeting between two of hockey fiercest rivals from the Original Six era. On this night, it was the Canadiens that came away victorious by a final score of 2-1 in the shootout. That ends the Bruins’ winning streak at 12.
- Despite the result, the Bruins still have to be considered the favorite in the Eastern Conference. For long stretches, the Bruins had the run of the play Monday, but got unlucky by hitting some goal posts, and Habs’ goalie Peter Budaj was spectacular.
- Budaj, by the way, made 28 saves in this start. It was an interesting decision to start Budaj over a healthy Carey Price, who could start Tuesday against the Buffalo Sabres.
- The Canadiens have won six of the last seven regular season meetings between these two teams. So, that’s something to think about heading into the post-season.
- Scary moment in this one, as Habs’ forward Travis Moen left the game after taking a punch to the head during a first-period fight with Kevan Miller. Moen was responding to a hit Miller threw on Dale Weise. Both Moen and Weise left the game and did not return.
- Both teams finished 1-for-6 on the power play. The Bruins had four straight third period power plays, with Patrice Bergeron finally capitalizing on the final one.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)