Mar 24, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
If you happen to run into Oilers coach Dallas Eakins today, don’t bother asking how his weekend went.
Following Saturday’s 8-1 home loss to Calgary — a game in which someone threw an Oilers jersey onto the ice for the second time this season — Eakins admitted the last 48 hours were tough to swallow.
“I didn’t even leave the house yesterday,” he said, per Sportsnet. “I wanted to spend the day with my girls. You’re living in a depressed state.”
To say Eakins’ first year in Edmonton has been disappointing is a major understatement. The Oilers have a worse winning percentage (.410) than they had in either of the previous two years (.469 and .451, respectively), and are on pace to draft in the top-10 for the sixth year in a row.
The 8-1 loss came just two days after another brutal performance, a 3-1 loss at home to Buffalo — the only team in below Edmonton in the standings. Needless to say, losing by a combined 11-2 score to the Flames and Sabres — at Rexall, no less — has taken its toll on Eakins.
“I wanted to leave that [Flames] game behind,” he said. “However we have to deal with it today and then we’ll move on.”
Like Charlie Brown being followed around by that dang raincloud, Eakins just can’t escape the bad vibes. During Monday’s practice, he watched as goalie Viktor Fasth was run over by Anton Lander and was forced to leave the ice. Fasth, 2-0-1 in his brief time with Oilers, reportedly suffered a sprained neck in the collision.
Good times in Edmonton!
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)