Mar 23, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are bringing back a familiar face for the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday, as they recalled defenseman Ryan Whitney from the AHL.
Update: Meanwhile, the Ducks brought Sami Vatanen up.
Whitney, 31, played part of the 2008-09 season and a portion of the 2009-10 campaign with Anaheim; those campaigns weren’t complete because he was involved in two trades. He was part of the trade that sent Chris Kunitz to the Pittsburgh Penguins in February 2009 and then the deal that made Lubomir Visnovsky a part of the Anaheim Ducks in March 2010.
Things obviously haven’t gone too well for a blueliner who once scored 14 goals and 59 points with the Pittsburgh Penguins (during the 2006-07 season). He failed to score a point and registered a -7 rating in six NHL games with the Panthers this season and managed 20 in 40 contests with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)