Mar 23, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are bringing back a familiar face for the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday, as they recalled defenseman Ryan Whitney from the AHL.
Update: Meanwhile, the Ducks brought Sami Vatanen up.
Whitney, 31, played part of the 2008-09 season and a portion of the 2009-10 campaign with Anaheim; those campaigns weren’t complete because he was involved in two trades. He was part of the trade that sent Chris Kunitz to the Pittsburgh Penguins in February 2009 and then the deal that made Lubomir Visnovsky a part of the Anaheim Ducks in March 2010.
Things obviously haven’t gone too well for a blueliner who once scored 14 goals and 59 points with the Pittsburgh Penguins (during the 2006-07 season). He failed to score a point and registered a -7 rating in six NHL games with the Panthers this season and managed 20 in 40 contests with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9