Mar 23, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are bringing back a familiar face for the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday, as they recalled defenseman Ryan Whitney from the AHL.
Update: Meanwhile, the Ducks brought Sami Vatanen up.
Whitney, 31, played part of the 2008-09 season and a portion of the 2009-10 campaign with Anaheim; those campaigns weren’t complete because he was involved in two trades. He was part of the trade that sent Chris Kunitz to the Pittsburgh Penguins in February 2009 and then the deal that made Lubomir Visnovsky a part of the Anaheim Ducks in March 2010.
Things obviously haven’t gone too well for a blueliner who once scored 14 goals and 59 points with the Pittsburgh Penguins (during the 2006-07 season). He failed to score a point and registered a -7 rating in six NHL games with the Panthers this season and managed 20 in 40 contests with the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)