Mar 23, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
On paper, Sunday seemed like a great chance for the Columbus Blue Jackets to jump back into the wild card ranks against the New York Islanders. Instead, the “little rats” ran into a trap named Evgeni Nabokov who stopped all 41 of their shots, beating Columbus 2-0.
If this didn’t seem like an upset in a vacuum, consider the fact that this is only the second time the Blue Jackets have lost to the Islanders in regulation in their franchise history. The Columbus Dispatch’s Shawn Mitchell reports that they’re now 11-2-4 against the Isles and went 45 games without being shut out.
With this, the Blue Jackets have now lost three of their last four games, only managing two points in four important games.
Here is a look at their place in the East standings as of this moment:
The Blue Jackets will root for a two-point game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New Jersey Devils tonight and face a big game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday. Columbus certainly isn’t out of this race, but losses like these could come back to haunt them.
It might mean more time for Putt-Putt, though.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)