Mar 23, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
For the second time this season, a disgruntled fan threw an Edmonton Oilers jersey onto the ice at Rexall Place.
It happened this time during the third period of Saturday’s game between the Oilers and their Battle-of-Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. Yeah, this one was ugly. The Flames skated to an 8-1 victory.
“I don’t think you should throw anything on the ice. In the AHL they threw batteries on the ice. I understand the frustration,” said first-year head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
Added Scrivens: “You’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want. Call me whatever name you want. But when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us and it’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”
Now, you might recall that this happened earlier in the season. That led Eakins to rip the fan, calling them a quitter.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins back in December. “We don’t want that here.
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
On Saturday, it clearly looked like the Oilers – the hockey team – quit. But again, the coach and players didn’t care for someone throwing a jersey on the ice.
The two teams came out of the first period tied at one-goal apiece. And it completely came apart for the host Oilers after that.
They allowed four goals just over three minutes in the second period, and then surrendered three more in the final period.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54