Mar 23, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
For the second time this season, a disgruntled fan threw an Edmonton Oilers jersey onto the ice at Rexall Place.
It happened this time during the third period of Saturday’s game between the Oilers and their Battle-of-Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. Yeah, this one was ugly. The Flames skated to an 8-1 victory.
“I don’t think you should throw anything on the ice. In the AHL they threw batteries on the ice. I understand the frustration,” said first-year head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
Added Scrivens: “You’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want. Call me whatever name you want. But when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us and it’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”
Now, you might recall that this happened earlier in the season. That led Eakins to rip the fan, calling them a quitter.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins back in December. “We don’t want that here.
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
On Saturday, it clearly looked like the Oilers – the hockey team – quit. But again, the coach and players didn’t care for someone throwing a jersey on the ice.
The two teams came out of the first period tied at one-goal apiece. And it completely came apart for the host Oilers after that.
They allowed four goals just over three minutes in the second period, and then surrendered three more in the final period.
- In praise of John Tavares 3
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 12
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31