Mar 23, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
For the second time this season, a disgruntled fan threw an Edmonton Oilers jersey onto the ice at Rexall Place.
It happened this time during the third period of Saturday’s game between the Oilers and their Battle-of-Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. Yeah, this one was ugly. The Flames skated to an 8-1 victory.
“I don’t think you should throw anything on the ice. In the AHL they threw batteries on the ice. I understand the frustration,” said first-year head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
Added Scrivens: “You’re a fan, you get to say and do whatever you want. Call me whatever name you want. But when it comes to that logo, that’s a sacred thing for us and it’s disheartening for me to see our fans treat it that way.”
Now, you might recall that this happened earlier in the season. That led Eakins to rip the fan, calling them a quitter.
“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins back in December. “We don’t want that here.
“For some fan to show us all that he quit, he’s done, he threw in the towel, I think that says volumes about the individual. I don’t believe this city was built on people like that.”
On Saturday, it clearly looked like the Oilers – the hockey team – quit. But again, the coach and players didn’t care for someone throwing a jersey on the ice.
The two teams came out of the first period tied at one-goal apiece. And it completely came apart for the host Oilers after that.
They allowed four goals just over three minutes in the second period, and then surrendered three more in the final period.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)