Mar 23, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks could have caved while trailing the lowly Buffalo Sabres 2-0 and facing a steep climb to a playoff spot, but they instead fought back to win 4-2 on Sunday.
That effort didn’t elude David Booth, who scored the 4-2 tally:
Head coach John Tortorella was also impressed, noting that this win might spur them on for bigger things during a short two-game road trip.
That resiliency might be seen most clearly in Zack Kassian‘s game, as he had plenty of assists (four) but estimated that he needed quite a few more stitches.
If the Canucks can muscle through those two road games (Minnesota on Wednesday, Colorado on Thursday), they have an opportunity to pile up points in a mad rush toward the end. They play five straight home games against tough playoff-caliber opponents before two (on-paper) softies at Edmonton (April 12) and a season-closing home game against Calgary.
They might need other teams to stumble, yet with three wins in four contests, at least they’re not backing down (as Booth might say).
It’s not all good news, however, as it appears that Henrik Sedin is banged up.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)