Mar 22, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Before this season, Gustav Nyquist‘s career-high in goals was three. That was accomplished last season in 22 National Hockey League games with the Detroit Red Wings.
But he’s since started filling the net with greater propensity. He hit the 20-goal plateau for this season on Thursday, and now has four goals in his last three games. As Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports, it’s because Nyquist is shooting the puck more and more. A quick glance at his statistics shows he’s up to 121 shots in 44 games this season.
In 22 regular season games last season, he had only 46 shots. That would’ve put him on pace for about 92 shots over a 44-game period. So, that’s significantly lower than what he’s at in 2013-14 with Detroit.
“He’s getting good opportunity, but the other thing he’s doing is shoot the puck; he’s got to continue to shoot the puck,” Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com.
“In the National League you score by shooting, not by passing. So he’s done a good job in that area.”
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)