Mar 22, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
It was a less than ideal start for goalie James Reimer and the Toronto Maple Leafs against their rivals, the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday.
The Habs opened the scoring with two goals in one minute and five seconds earlier in the first period. Max Pacioretty got Montreal on the board, ripping a wrist shot by Reimer on the glove side. Rene Bourque tallied shortly after, again beating Reimer on the glove side.
Reimer’s had a rough go of late, allowing 11 goals combined over his last three starts prior to Saturday. Of course, much has been made about the recent comments from head coach Randy Carlyle about Reimer and his play.
“He was OK. He was just OK,” Carlyle said of Reimer after a recent loss to Detroit, as per the Toronto Star.
Now, it should be mentioned that later in the period, Reimer made a nice glove save off Pacioretty to keep Montreal’s lead at two goals. Shortly after, Joffrey Lupul scored to cut the Habs’ lead in half.
The Habs took a 3-2 lead into the first intermission.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)