Mar 22, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche defenseman Andre Benoit saved what could’ve been a sure goal with a rather unconventional save.
Benoit threw himself in front of a Jarome Iginla empty-net attempt late in the third period of Friday’s game between the Avalanche and Boston Bruins. With the Avalanche down a pair of goals, and their net empty with Patrick Roy pulling Semyon Varlamov for the extra attacker, the Benoit save at least gave his team an extended chance at perhaps getting a goal to get back in this one.
In the end, however, the Bruins withstood any Colorado attack in the third period for a 2-0 victory. It’s Boston’s 11th consecutive win, which helped them clinch a playoff berth.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 73
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (73)