Mar 22, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche defenseman Andre Benoit saved what could’ve been a sure goal with a rather unconventional save.
Benoit threw himself in front of a Jarome Iginla empty-net attempt late in the third period of Friday’s game between the Avalanche and Boston Bruins. With the Avalanche down a pair of goals, and their net empty with Patrick Roy pulling Semyon Varlamov for the extra attacker, the Benoit save at least gave his team an extended chance at perhaps getting a goal to get back in this one.
In the end, however, the Bruins withstood any Colorado attack in the third period for a 2-0 victory. It’s Boston’s 11th consecutive win, which helped them clinch a playoff berth.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 8
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)