Mar 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
These aren’t good times for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
They lost their fourth consecutive game, this time by a score of 4-3 to the rival Montreal Canadiens on Saturday. Tomas Plekanec gave Montreal the lead for good with a goal just after a Habs power play with under nine minutes remaining in the third period.
Plekanec beat James Reimer short side with a wrist shot from a bad angle, in what was another tough night for the Toronto netminder. The Habs opened up a two-goal lead in the first period, beating Reimer with a pair of soft goals on the glove side.
The Maple Leafs remain in the top Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference, but only by two points over the ninth-place Columbus Blue Jackets.
The subject of goaltending has dominated the conversation lately in Toronto. However, Jonas Siegel of TSN Radio 1050 reports that injured puck stopper Jonathan Bernier will not travel to New Jersey for tomorrow’s game between the Leafs and Devils.
For the Habs, the victory came with a price. Lars Eller left the game after the second period and did not return because of a lower-body injury, according to Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press. The Habs will recall Michael Bournival.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)