Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Mike Richards hasn’t recorded a point in his last six games, which might not be noteworthy under normal circumstances, but taken in the context of his 2013-14 campaign and it has to be discouraging for Kings’ fans.
Richards has just nine goals and 39 points in 70 contests this season and has gotten to the point where he was skating alongside Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis on the fourth line during Friday’s practice.
Afterwards, Darryl Sutter compared Richards to Dustin Brown, whose playing time has dropped substantially this season as he fails to live up to expectations.
“Hopefully they’re getting their games together at the right time,” Sutter said, per the Los Angeles Times. He added, “These guys are experienced, veteran players on our team. They have to get their game in order if we’re going to be a playoff team.”
Richards didn’t exactly shine during the 2011-12 regular season either with his 44 points in 74 games, but he stepped up during the team’s playoff run to help them win the Stanley Cup. Sutter just has to hope history repeats itself as the postseason approaches.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)