Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Mike Richards hasn’t recorded a point in his last six games, which might not be noteworthy under normal circumstances, but taken in the context of his 2013-14 campaign and it has to be discouraging for Kings’ fans.
Richards has just nine goals and 39 points in 70 contests this season and has gotten to the point where he was skating alongside Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis on the fourth line during Friday’s practice.
Afterwards, Darryl Sutter compared Richards to Dustin Brown, whose playing time has dropped substantially this season as he fails to live up to expectations.
“Hopefully they’re getting their games together at the right time,” Sutter said, per the Los Angeles Times. He added, “These guys are experienced, veteran players on our team. They have to get their game in order if we’re going to be a playoff team.”
Richards didn’t exactly shine during the 2011-12 regular season either with his 44 points in 74 games, but he stepped up during the team’s playoff run to help them win the Stanley Cup. Sutter just has to hope history repeats itself as the postseason approaches.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)