Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Mike Richards hasn’t recorded a point in his last six games, which might not be noteworthy under normal circumstances, but taken in the context of his 2013-14 campaign and it has to be discouraging for Kings’ fans.
Richards has just nine goals and 39 points in 70 contests this season and has gotten to the point where he was skating alongside Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis on the fourth line during Friday’s practice.
Afterwards, Darryl Sutter compared Richards to Dustin Brown, whose playing time has dropped substantially this season as he fails to live up to expectations.
“Hopefully they’re getting their games together at the right time,” Sutter said, per the Los Angeles Times. He added, “These guys are experienced, veteran players on our team. They have to get their game in order if we’re going to be a playoff team.”
Richards didn’t exactly shine during the 2011-12 regular season either with his 44 points in 74 games, but he stepped up during the team’s playoff run to help them win the Stanley Cup. Sutter just has to hope history repeats itself as the postseason approaches.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)