Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Mike Richards hasn’t recorded a point in his last six games, which might not be noteworthy under normal circumstances, but taken in the context of his 2013-14 campaign and it has to be discouraging for Kings’ fans.
Richards has just nine goals and 39 points in 70 contests this season and has gotten to the point where he was skating alongside Kyle Clifford and Trevor Lewis on the fourth line during Friday’s practice.
Afterwards, Darryl Sutter compared Richards to Dustin Brown, whose playing time has dropped substantially this season as he fails to live up to expectations.
“Hopefully they’re getting their games together at the right time,” Sutter said, per the Los Angeles Times. He added, “These guys are experienced, veteran players on our team. They have to get their game in order if we’re going to be a playoff team.”
Richards didn’t exactly shine during the 2011-12 regular season either with his 44 points in 74 games, but he stepped up during the team’s playoff run to help them win the Stanley Cup. Sutter just has to hope history repeats itself as the postseason approaches.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 15
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 76
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (82)