Mar 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers lost gritty forward Steve Downie early in this afternoon’s contest against St. Louis. He skated into St. Louis Blues forward Patrik Berglund and appeared to be accidentally hit in the head as a result.
There was no penalty on the play.
Downie fell to the ice and although he was eventually able to skate off on his own strength, he went straight for the locker room. The Flyers have confirmed that he will not return due to what they’re calling an upper-body injury.
The obvious fear is that he might have sustained a concussion after previously suffering one in November.
He’s in his second stint with the Philadelphia Flyers after they acquired him from Colorado in late October in exchange for Maxime Talbot. Downie has 24 points and 106 penalty minutes in 60 games this season.
You can see the collision below:
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)