Mar 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers lost gritty forward Steve Downie early in this afternoon’s contest against St. Louis. He skated into St. Louis Blues forward Patrik Berglund and appeared to be accidentally hit in the head as a result.
There was no penalty on the play.
Downie fell to the ice and although he was eventually able to skate off on his own strength, he went straight for the locker room. The Flyers have confirmed that he will not return due to what they’re calling an upper-body injury.
The obvious fear is that he might have sustained a concussion after previously suffering one in November.
He’s in his second stint with the Philadelphia Flyers after they acquired him from Colorado in late October in exchange for Maxime Talbot. Downie has 24 points and 106 penalty minutes in 60 games this season.
You can see the collision below:
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 48
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 18
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 28
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)