Mar 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers lost gritty forward Steve Downie early in this afternoon’s contest against St. Louis. He skated into St. Louis Blues forward Patrik Berglund and appeared to be accidentally hit in the head as a result.
There was no penalty on the play.
Downie fell to the ice and although he was eventually able to skate off on his own strength, he went straight for the locker room. The Flyers have confirmed that he will not return due to what they’re calling an upper-body injury.
The obvious fear is that he might have sustained a concussion after previously suffering one in November.
He’s in his second stint with the Philadelphia Flyers after they acquired him from Colorado in late October in exchange for Maxime Talbot. Downie has 24 points and 106 penalty minutes in 60 games this season.
You can see the collision below:
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2