Mar 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers lost gritty forward Steve Downie early in this afternoon’s contest against St. Louis. He skated into St. Louis Blues forward Patrik Berglund and appeared to be accidentally hit in the head as a result.
There was no penalty on the play.
Downie fell to the ice and although he was eventually able to skate off on his own strength, he went straight for the locker room. The Flyers have confirmed that he will not return due to what they’re calling an upper-body injury.
The obvious fear is that he might have sustained a concussion after previously suffering one in November.
He’s in his second stint with the Philadelphia Flyers after they acquired him from Colorado in late October in exchange for Maxime Talbot. Downie has 24 points and 106 penalty minutes in 60 games this season.
You can see the collision below:
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)