Mar 22, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Trying to get back into the Western Conference playoff race, the Dallas Stars needed a victory in the worst way.
On Saturday against the Ottawa Senators, the Stars peppered goalie Robin Lehner with rubber – finishing with 44 shots on the day – before finally opening the game up on their way to an important 3-1 victory. It snapped the Stars’ losing streak at four games.
For now, it also gets them back to within two points of the Phoenix Coyotes, currently holding down the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference. The Coyotes are in action tonight, as they go up against the red-hot Boston Bruins, winners of 11 consecutive games. So, it was critical for the Stars to do their part in trying to make up on ground in the West.
The Stars (with 77 points) now have 12 games remaining in their regular season. After tonight, the Coyotes (currently with 79 points) will have only 11 remaining.
Cue the scoreboard watching, if players haven’t been doing that already.
“Sometimes, you think it’s best not to, but I know it’s there. I’ve done the math, and I know what we have to do,” Stars’ center Vern Fiddler told the Dallas Morning News.
“I think the veterans can handle it, and we have to help the younger players with that. You obviously have to concentrate on each game and each shift, but I don’t think there’s any harm in knowing where you stand.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)