Mar 22, 2014, 7:04 PM EST
Trying to get back into the Western Conference playoff race, the Dallas Stars needed a victory in the worst way.
On Saturday against the Ottawa Senators, the Stars peppered goalie Robin Lehner with rubber – finishing with 44 shots on the day – before finally opening the game up on their way to an important 3-1 victory. It snapped the Stars’ losing streak at four games.
For now, it also gets them back to within two points of the Phoenix Coyotes, currently holding down the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference. The Coyotes are in action tonight, as they go up against the red-hot Boston Bruins, winners of 11 consecutive games. So, it was critical for the Stars to do their part in trying to make up on ground in the West.
The Stars (with 77 points) now have 12 games remaining in their regular season. After tonight, the Coyotes (currently with 79 points) will have only 11 remaining.
Cue the scoreboard watching, if players haven’t been doing that already.
“Sometimes, you think it’s best not to, but I know it’s there. I’ve done the math, and I know what we have to do,” Stars’ center Vern Fiddler told the Dallas Morning News.
“I think the veterans can handle it, and we have to help the younger players with that. You obviously have to concentrate on each game and each shift, but I don’t think there’s any harm in knowing where you stand.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)