Mar 22, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Trying to get back into the Western Conference playoff race, the Dallas Stars needed a victory in the worst way.
On Saturday against the Ottawa Senators, the Stars peppered goalie Robin Lehner with rubber – finishing with 44 shots on the day – before finally opening the game up on their way to an important 3-1 victory. It snapped the Stars’ losing streak at four games.
For now, it also gets them back to within two points of the Phoenix Coyotes, currently holding down the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference. The Coyotes are in action tonight, as they go up against the red-hot Boston Bruins, winners of 11 consecutive games. So, it was critical for the Stars to do their part in trying to make up on ground in the West.
The Stars (with 77 points) now have 12 games remaining in their regular season. After tonight, the Coyotes (currently with 79 points) will have only 11 remaining.
Cue the scoreboard watching, if players haven’t been doing that already.
“Sometimes, you think it’s best not to, but I know it’s there. I’ve done the math, and I know what we have to do,” Stars’ center Vern Fiddler told the Dallas Morning News.
“I think the veterans can handle it, and we have to help the younger players with that. You obviously have to concentrate on each game and each shift, but I don’t think there’s any harm in knowing where you stand.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)