Mar 22, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have suddenly won three games in a row, with the latest victory pushing them back into the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
With a 23rd consecutive playoff berth hanging in the balance, the Red Wings defeated the Minnesota Wild by a score of 3-2 on Saturday, to jump one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets in the race for the Wild Card.
Gustav Nyquist – remember, he’s scoring more because he’s shooting the puck more – scored the winner on a quick wrist shot just over five minutes into the third period. It’s his 21st on the season and fifth in four games.
Darren Helm also returned to the Red Wings lineup, after missing eight games with a concussion. He had 12:06 in ice time, although there appears to be some question as to whether he’ll play Sunday, when the Red Wings and Wild wrap up this weekend home-and-home set.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)