Mar 22, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have suddenly won three games in a row, with the latest victory pushing them back into the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
With a 23rd consecutive playoff berth hanging in the balance, the Red Wings defeated the Minnesota Wild by a score of 3-2 on Saturday, to jump one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets in the race for the Wild Card.
Gustav Nyquist – remember, he’s scoring more because he’s shooting the puck more – scored the winner on a quick wrist shot just over five minutes into the third period. It’s his 21st on the season and fifth in four games.
Darren Helm also returned to the Red Wings lineup, after missing eight games with a concussion. He had 12:06 in ice time, although there appears to be some question as to whether he’ll play Sunday, when the Red Wings and Wild wrap up this weekend home-and-home set.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 10
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22