Mar 22, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have suddenly won three games in a row, with the latest victory pushing them back into the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
With a 23rd consecutive playoff berth hanging in the balance, the Red Wings defeated the Minnesota Wild by a score of 3-2 on Saturday, to jump one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets in the race for the Wild Card.
Gustav Nyquist – remember, he’s scoring more because he’s shooting the puck more – scored the winner on a quick wrist shot just over five minutes into the third period. It’s his 21st on the season and fifth in four games.
Darren Helm also returned to the Red Wings lineup, after missing eight games with a concussion. He had 12:06 in ice time, although there appears to be some question as to whether he’ll play Sunday, when the Red Wings and Wild wrap up this weekend home-and-home set.
Babcock said he'll decide tomorrow whether to play Darren Helm on consecutive days, after he had missed eight games.—
Ansar Khan (@AnsarKhanMLive) March 22, 2014
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)