Mar 22, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
The Penguins might not need the points much anymore, but they will gladly take the morale boost that comes with earning a hard fought 4-3 overtime victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
This was a game where the superstars did the heavy lifting for the Penguins. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal each found the back of the net during power-play opportunities. Malkin also scored the team’s only five-on-five goal at 16:43 of the third period to give the Penguins a 3-2 lead.
It looked like that might be the end of it, but Lightning forward Ondrej Palat skated through four Pittsburgh players to counter with just 1:22 remaining in regulation time to at least let the Lightning finish the game with a point.
The Lightning might have gotten more than that, but they were charged with having too many man on the ice in overtime. The penalty didn’t sit well with Tampa Bay as the call corresponded closely with the play being called dead due to an offside.
Regardless, the Lightning’s five-game winning streak is now over. They have a three-point edge on Montreal in the fight for the second seed in the Atlantic Division ahead of the Canadiens’ contest against Toronto tonight.
The Penguins seem destined to win the Metropolitan Division and finish second in the Eastern Conference, but this was still an important win for them after dropping three of their previous four contests.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
“They know who is the man.”
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
His goal got the biggest reaction in Columbus on Friday.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He’s been hot in the AHL lately.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 0
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)