Mar 22, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Beau Bennett has recovered from a hand/wrist injury that’s sidelined him since late November, but the road back to the Pittsburgh Penguins will go through AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Bennett will spend “a few games” with the minor-league squad after he was sent down on a conditioning assignment.
“I’m just excited to play some games and get back into some action,” Bennett told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It’s been a long time coming.”
Before the campaign started, Bennett was regarded as a potential top-six forward, but the 22-year-old has been limited to just 12 games. At this point he will probably serve in a depth role during the Penguins’ playoff run, but he would be capable of moving up if injuries necessitate it.
Meanwhile, defenseman Kris Letang, who suffered a stroke, is practicing with the Penguins, but isn’t expected to return in the near future.
“There are still some days I don’t feel quite right,” said Letang.
“On the ice, it’s fine. It’s more outside the ice that it’s a problem.”
Pittsburgh will play against Tampa Bay this afternoon.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)