Mar 22, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
Beau Bennett has recovered from a hand/wrist injury that’s sidelined him since late November, but the road back to the Pittsburgh Penguins will go through AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Bennett will spend “a few games” with the minor-league squad after he was sent down on a conditioning assignment.
“I’m just excited to play some games and get back into some action,” Bennett told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It’s been a long time coming.”
Before the campaign started, Bennett was regarded as a potential top-six forward, but the 22-year-old has been limited to just 12 games. At this point he will probably serve in a depth role during the Penguins’ playoff run, but he would be capable of moving up if injuries necessitate it.
Meanwhile, defenseman Kris Letang, who suffered a stroke, is practicing with the Penguins, but isn’t expected to return in the near future.
“There are still some days I don’t feel quite right,” said Letang.
“On the ice, it’s fine. It’s more outside the ice that it’s a problem.”
Pittsburgh will play against Tampa Bay this afternoon.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)