Mar 22, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
Beau Bennett has recovered from a hand/wrist injury that’s sidelined him since late November, but the road back to the Pittsburgh Penguins will go through AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Bennett will spend “a few games” with the minor-league squad after he was sent down on a conditioning assignment.
“I’m just excited to play some games and get back into some action,” Bennett told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It’s been a long time coming.”
Before the campaign started, Bennett was regarded as a potential top-six forward, but the 22-year-old has been limited to just 12 games. At this point he will probably serve in a depth role during the Penguins’ playoff run, but he would be capable of moving up if injuries necessitate it.
Meanwhile, defenseman Kris Letang, who suffered a stroke, is practicing with the Penguins, but isn’t expected to return in the near future.
“There are still some days I don’t feel quite right,” said Letang.
“On the ice, it’s fine. It’s more outside the ice that it’s a problem.”
Pittsburgh will play against Tampa Bay this afternoon.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)