Mar 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
It’s late in the season, but Sunday will mark David Clarkson‘s first game back in New Jersey since he signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs last July.
The now 29-year-old Clarkson inked a seven-year deal worth $36.75 million on the first day of National Hockey League free agency, ending his time with the New Jersey Devils after seven seasons.
“I would be lying if I said it was something that you don’t think about,” Clarkson told Fire & Ice of Northjersey.com.
“I don’t know how the fans will act, but I am looking forward to going back. I spent a long time in my career there and I really enjoyed that city. I met a lot of nice friends and the organization, in my opinion, is if not the best, then one of the best to play for (in) the NHL.”
However, Clarkson’s time in Toronto hasn’t been very fruitful, especially given the money he signed for.
His offensive numbers have also been on the decline this season. He had only four goals and 10 points in 49 games prior to tonight’s meeting against the Montreal Canadiens. It’s worth noting his lowest goal total in the NHL was three back in the 2006-07 season. He played in only seven games for New Jersey, while spending the majority of that season in the American Hockey League.
He admitted in January to not being happy with his early ban and its impact on how things have gone for him this season in general.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)