Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Joni Ortio was pulled from the Calgary Flames net midway through Friday’s game against the Nashville Predators, and then dispatched him to the minors just minutes after the game.
Ortio allowed four goals on just 13 shots before getting yanked from Calgary’s net. The Flames went on to lose in a wild, high-scoring affair, by a final score of 6-5. Joey MacDonald came into the game for Calgary, and was credited with the loss despite allowing only two goals on nine shots.
Not long after the game ended, the Flames announced Ortio had been reassigned to the Abbotsford Heat in the American Hockey League.
The Flames later clarified the transaction.
The 22-year-old Ortio is a sixth-round pick, 171st overall, of the Flames from the 2009 NHL Draft. He had appeared in nine games, winning in four of his starts since he was recalled earlier in February.
But Friday’s outing was a rough one, especially after allowing two quick goals early.
“When you let in the first two shots, you know it’s going to be a struggle. It’s not fun,” said Ortio, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)