Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Joni Ortio was pulled from the Calgary Flames net midway through Friday’s game against the Nashville Predators, and then dispatched him to the minors just minutes after the game.
Ortio allowed four goals on just 13 shots before getting yanked from Calgary’s net. The Flames went on to lose in a wild, high-scoring affair, by a final score of 6-5. Joey MacDonald came into the game for Calgary, and was credited with the loss despite allowing only two goals on nine shots.
Not long after the game ended, the Flames announced Ortio had been reassigned to the Abbotsford Heat in the American Hockey League.
The Flames later clarified the transaction.
The 22-year-old Ortio is a sixth-round pick, 171st overall, of the Flames from the 2009 NHL Draft. He had appeared in nine games, winning in four of his starts since he was recalled earlier in February.
But Friday’s outing was a rough one, especially after allowing two quick goals early.
“When you let in the first two shots, you know it’s going to be a struggle. It’s not fun,” said Ortio, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)