Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Joni Ortio was pulled from the Calgary Flames net midway through Friday’s game against the Nashville Predators, and then dispatched him to the minors just minutes after the game.
Ortio allowed four goals on just 13 shots before getting yanked from Calgary’s net. The Flames went on to lose in a wild, high-scoring affair, by a final score of 6-5. Joey MacDonald came into the game for Calgary, and was credited with the loss despite allowing only two goals on nine shots.
Not long after the game ended, the Flames announced Ortio had been reassigned to the Abbotsford Heat in the American Hockey League.
The Flames later clarified the transaction.
The 22-year-old Ortio is a sixth-round pick, 171st overall, of the Flames from the 2009 NHL Draft. He had appeared in nine games, winning in four of his starts since he was recalled earlier in February.
But Friday’s outing was a rough one, especially after allowing two quick goals early.
“When you let in the first two shots, you know it’s going to be a struggle. It’s not fun,” said Ortio, as per Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 8
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)