Mar 22, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
So, it’s been a while since the Washington Capitals have won a game in San Jose. In fact, it’s been more than 20 years.
The Capitals will have a chance to change that when they take on the Sharks later Saturday evening.
From the Washington Post:
The last time the Capitals won here, Alex Ovechkin was 8 years old, Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was at the top of the Billboard charts, Bill Clinton was in the first year of his presidency and the Shark Tank – now called the SAP Center – had been open for less than two months.
On Oct. 30, 1993, Peter Bondra, Craig Berube, Keith Jones and Mike Ridley scored as Washington captured a 4-2 win over the Sharks. In 12 visits to Northern California since then, the Capitals have failed to come away with a victory.
That is one long slump.
But to be fair, the two teams don’t play in the same conference. So, that’s helped prolong such a streak.
The Capitals enter this game in need of two points to keep pace in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They currently sit 10th in the conference with 77 points, which puts them two points back of the Detroit Red Wings – winners today over Minnesota – for the second Wild Card spot.
Meanwhile, the Sharks have been one of the NHL’s hottest teams of late, having won eight times in their last 10 games to take over the top spot in the Pacific Division.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)