Mar 22, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
So, it’s been a while since the Washington Capitals have won a game in San Jose. In fact, it’s been more than 20 years.
The Capitals will have a chance to change that when they take on the Sharks later Saturday evening.
From the Washington Post:
The last time the Capitals won here, Alex Ovechkin was 8 years old, Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was at the top of the Billboard charts, Bill Clinton was in the first year of his presidency and the Shark Tank – now called the SAP Center – had been open for less than two months.
On Oct. 30, 1993, Peter Bondra, Craig Berube, Keith Jones and Mike Ridley scored as Washington captured a 4-2 win over the Sharks. In 12 visits to Northern California since then, the Capitals have failed to come away with a victory.
That is one long slump.
But to be fair, the two teams don’t play in the same conference. So, that’s helped prolong such a streak.
The Capitals enter this game in need of two points to keep pace in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They currently sit 10th in the conference with 77 points, which puts them two points back of the Detroit Red Wings – winners today over Minnesota – for the second Wild Card spot.
Meanwhile, the Sharks have been one of the NHL’s hottest teams of late, having won eight times in their last 10 games to take over the top spot in the Pacific Division.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 98
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)