Mar 22, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
So, it’s been a while since the Washington Capitals have won a game in San Jose. In fact, it’s been more than 20 years.
The Capitals will have a chance to change that when they take on the Sharks later Saturday evening.
From the Washington Post:
The last time the Capitals won here, Alex Ovechkin was 8 years old, Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was at the top of the Billboard charts, Bill Clinton was in the first year of his presidency and the Shark Tank – now called the SAP Center – had been open for less than two months.
On Oct. 30, 1993, Peter Bondra, Craig Berube, Keith Jones and Mike Ridley scored as Washington captured a 4-2 win over the Sharks. In 12 visits to Northern California since then, the Capitals have failed to come away with a victory.
That is one long slump.
But to be fair, the two teams don’t play in the same conference. So, that’s helped prolong such a streak.
The Capitals enter this game in need of two points to keep pace in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They currently sit 10th in the conference with 77 points, which puts them two points back of the Detroit Red Wings – winners today over Minnesota – for the second Wild Card spot.
Meanwhile, the Sharks have been one of the NHL’s hottest teams of late, having won eight times in their last 10 games to take over the top spot in the Pacific Division.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)