Mar 22, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have gotten plenty of bad luck on the injury front this season and they got a bit of unfortunate puck luck while on the power-play this afternoon. This time though, it didn’t cost them.
Down 1-0 to the Minnesota Wild in the first period and with every point vital to Detroit, David Legwand fired a shot that hit the post, bounced off Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper‘s back and then sailed across the crease and away from the net.
Defenseman Brendan Smith was already positioning himself towards the net when it happened though and he charged at the rebound before flinging the puck into the net.
You can view that sequence below:
The Red Wings are one point shy of the Columbus Blue Jackets and the second Wild Card spot, but they have played in one less game, not counting their current contest against Minnesota. Columbus won’t play today, so whether or not Detroit finishes the night with an edge in the Wild Card race is entirely dependent on the outcome of this game.
Columbus has a firm lead on the tiebreaker (wins minus shootout victories), so an overtime or shootout loss today won’t allow Detroit to surpass the Blue Jackets.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)