Mar 22, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have gotten plenty of bad luck on the injury front this season and they got a bit of unfortunate puck luck while on the power-play this afternoon. This time though, it didn’t cost them.
Down 1-0 to the Minnesota Wild in the first period and with every point vital to Detroit, David Legwand fired a shot that hit the post, bounced off Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper‘s back and then sailed across the crease and away from the net.
Defenseman Brendan Smith was already positioning himself towards the net when it happened though and he charged at the rebound before flinging the puck into the net.
You can view that sequence below:
The Red Wings are one point shy of the Columbus Blue Jackets and the second Wild Card spot, but they have played in one less game, not counting their current contest against Minnesota. Columbus won’t play today, so whether or not Detroit finishes the night with an edge in the Wild Card race is entirely dependent on the outcome of this game.
Columbus has a firm lead on the tiebreaker (wins minus shootout victories), so an overtime or shootout loss today won’t allow Detroit to surpass the Blue Jackets.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)