Mar 22, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have gotten plenty of bad luck on the injury front this season and they got a bit of unfortunate puck luck while on the power-play this afternoon. This time though, it didn’t cost them.
Down 1-0 to the Minnesota Wild in the first period and with every point vital to Detroit, David Legwand fired a shot that hit the post, bounced off Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper‘s back and then sailed across the crease and away from the net.
Defenseman Brendan Smith was already positioning himself towards the net when it happened though and he charged at the rebound before flinging the puck into the net.
You can view that sequence below:
The Red Wings are one point shy of the Columbus Blue Jackets and the second Wild Card spot, but they have played in one less game, not counting their current contest against Minnesota. Columbus won’t play today, so whether or not Detroit finishes the night with an edge in the Wild Card race is entirely dependent on the outcome of this game.
Columbus has a firm lead on the tiebreaker (wins minus shootout victories), so an overtime or shootout loss today won’t allow Detroit to surpass the Blue Jackets.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)