Mar 22, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
AHL Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea, 23, had already done enough to potentially warrant supplemental discipline before things took a turn for the bizarre in Friday’s game against the Chicago Wolves.
He charged at 21-year-old forward Ty Rattie, one of the St. Louis Blues top prospects, and elbowed him in the head and everything escalated from there.
Shea dropped the gloves and fought Rattie, earning himself five minutes for elbowing, five for fighting, and a game misconduct. However, what truly makes this incident unusual is the fact that Shea didn’t let a thing like getting booted from the game stop him.
As Rattie was heading to his team’s dressing room, Shea left the rubber mat heading to the IceHogs’ room, crawled across the concrete, and then tried to fight Rattie again. This time it was the police that ended the fight.
Shea was handed a second game misconduct.
“That was something else,” Rattie told the Chicago Tribune. “He crawled. I don’t know why he crawled.
“He could have just walked across. It was weird. He got me with one (punch) and the cops jumped in.”
You can view the incident below (skip to 14:20):
H/T to Puck Daddy.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)