Mar 22, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
AHL Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea, 23, had already done enough to potentially warrant supplemental discipline before things took a turn for the bizarre in Friday’s game against the Chicago Wolves.
He charged at 21-year-old forward Ty Rattie, one of the St. Louis Blues top prospects, and elbowed him in the head and everything escalated from there.
Shea dropped the gloves and fought Rattie, earning himself five minutes for elbowing, five for fighting, and a game misconduct. However, what truly makes this incident unusual is the fact that Shea didn’t let a thing like getting booted from the game stop him.
As Rattie was heading to his team’s dressing room, Shea left the rubber mat heading to the IceHogs’ room, crawled across the concrete, and then tried to fight Rattie again. This time it was the police that ended the fight.
Shea was handed a second game misconduct.
“That was something else,” Rattie told the Chicago Tribune. “He crawled. I don’t know why he crawled.
“He could have just walked across. It was weird. He got me with one (punch) and the cops jumped in.”
You can view the incident below (skip to 14:20):
H/T to Puck Daddy.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)