Mar 22, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
AHL Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea, 23, had already done enough to potentially warrant supplemental discipline before things took a turn for the bizarre in Friday’s game against the Chicago Wolves.
He charged at 21-year-old forward Ty Rattie, one of the St. Louis Blues top prospects, and elbowed him in the head and everything escalated from there.
Shea dropped the gloves and fought Rattie, earning himself five minutes for elbowing, five for fighting, and a game misconduct. However, what truly makes this incident unusual is the fact that Shea didn’t let a thing like getting booted from the game stop him.
As Rattie was heading to his team’s dressing room, Shea left the rubber mat heading to the IceHogs’ room, crawled across the concrete, and then tried to fight Rattie again. This time it was the police that ended the fight.
Shea was handed a second game misconduct.
“That was something else,” Rattie told the Chicago Tribune. “He crawled. I don’t know why he crawled.
“He could have just walked across. It was weird. He got me with one (punch) and the cops jumped in.”
You can view the incident below (skip to 14:20):
H/T to Puck Daddy.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 2
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)