Mar 22, 2014, 5:44 PM EST
The American Hockey League has slapped Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea with an eight-game suspension after a bizarre incident against the Chicago Wolves on Friday.
Shea was involved in a fight off the ice with Ty Rattie, and nearby police officers actually had to come in to help break it up. Shea had previously been ejected from the game for an elbowing major.
From the AHL:
Shea was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline) as a result of his game misconduct for fighting off the playing surface, as well as for an elbowing incident.
The league announced it also suspended Rockford defenseman Jared Nightingale six games for leaving the bench for the purpose of starting an altercation. That incident happened earlier in the second period of Friday’s game, before the Shea-Rattie incident.
As per the AHL score sheet from that game, Nightingale was assessed a minor for instigating, a major for fighting and a game misconduct for the instigator.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)