Mar 22, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
The American Hockey League has slapped Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea with an eight-game suspension after a bizarre incident against the Chicago Wolves on Friday.
Shea was involved in a fight off the ice with Ty Rattie, and nearby police officers actually had to come in to help break it up. Shea had previously been ejected from the game for an elbowing major.
From the AHL:
Shea was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline) as a result of his game misconduct for fighting off the playing surface, as well as for an elbowing incident.
The league announced it also suspended Rockford defenseman Jared Nightingale six games for leaving the bench for the purpose of starting an altercation. That incident happened earlier in the second period of Friday’s game, before the Shea-Rattie incident.
As per the AHL score sheet from that game, Nightingale was assessed a minor for instigating, a major for fighting and a game misconduct for the instigator.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)