Mar 22, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
The American Hockey League has slapped Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea with an eight-game suspension after a bizarre incident against the Chicago Wolves on Friday.
Shea was involved in a fight off the ice with Ty Rattie, and nearby police officers actually had to come in to help break it up. Shea had previously been ejected from the game for an elbowing major.
From the AHL:
Shea was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline) as a result of his game misconduct for fighting off the playing surface, as well as for an elbowing incident.
The league announced it also suspended Rockford defenseman Jared Nightingale six games for leaving the bench for the purpose of starting an altercation. That incident happened earlier in the second period of Friday’s game, before the Shea-Rattie incident.
As per the AHL score sheet from that game, Nightingale was assessed a minor for instigating, a major for fighting and a game misconduct for the instigator.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)