Mar 22, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
The American Hockey League has slapped Rockford IceHogs defenseman Bobby Shea with an eight-game suspension after a bizarre incident against the Chicago Wolves on Friday.
Shea was involved in a fight off the ice with Ty Rattie, and nearby police officers actually had to come in to help break it up. Shea had previously been ejected from the game for an elbowing major.
From the AHL:
Shea was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline) as a result of his game misconduct for fighting off the playing surface, as well as for an elbowing incident.
The league announced it also suspended Rockford defenseman Jared Nightingale six games for leaving the bench for the purpose of starting an altercation. That incident happened earlier in the second period of Friday’s game, before the Shea-Rattie incident.
As per the AHL score sheet from that game, Nightingale was assessed a minor for instigating, a major for fighting and a game misconduct for the instigator.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 19
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)