Mar 21, 2014, 9:37 AM EST
Detroit Red Wings forward David Legwand may be able to breathe a little easier today.
Legwand used the end of his stick to jab Malkin in the midsection late in the third period of the Red Wings’ 5-4 overtime win against the Penguins. Malkin went down on the ice in pain and Legwand was assessed a five-minute for butt-ending and a game misconduct.
The Penguins didn’t score on the major power play and Daniel Alfredsson‘s goal with 0.4 seconds left in overtime gave the Wings the victory. The best news for Detroit out of all of this, however, is that they won’t lose yet another center for a game or more out of this.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)