Mar 21, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward David Legwand may be able to breathe a little easier today.
Legwand used the end of his stick to jab Malkin in the midsection late in the third period of the Red Wings’ 5-4 overtime win against the Penguins. Malkin went down on the ice in pain and Legwand was assessed a five-minute for butt-ending and a game misconduct.
The Penguins didn’t score on the major power play and Daniel Alfredsson‘s goal with 0.4 seconds left in overtime gave the Wings the victory. The best news for Detroit out of all of this, however, is that they won’t lose yet another center for a game or more out of this.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)