Mar 21, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward David Legwand may be able to breathe a little easier today.
Legwand used the end of his stick to jab Malkin in the midsection late in the third period of the Red Wings’ 5-4 overtime win against the Penguins. Malkin went down on the ice in pain and Legwand was assessed a five-minute for butt-ending and a game misconduct.
The Penguins didn’t score on the major power play and Daniel Alfredsson‘s goal with 0.4 seconds left in overtime gave the Wings the victory. The best news for Detroit out of all of this, however, is that they won’t lose yet another center for a game or more out of this.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)