Mar 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The NHL has apologized to the Florida organization for a blown interference call during Thursday’s loss in Phoenix, the Sun-Sentinel reports:
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker trampled Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo before Antoine Vermette poked the puck into a vacated net for what turned out to be the game-winning goal in Phoenix’s 2-1 victory late Thursday night.
The referee raised his hand as if he was calling the penalty, but Panthers coach Peter Horachek was told the infraction was going to be on Panthers defenseman Dylan Olsen, who was dragged down by Vermette and onto Luongo in a heap.
A furious Luongo argued the non-call to no avail.
After the game, a Panthers source told the Sun Sentinel that the referee admitted to the on-site NHL referee supervisor that he, “missed the call.”
Another Panthers source said on Friday that the league sent out an apology for the blown call via e-mail.
Here’s the play in question:
“You don’t have the ability to look at video for that situation it makes it hard from that side of the net, but obviously, not the right call,” Panthers head coach Peter Horachek said after the game. “It should’ve been interference, that goal should come back and makes it 1-1.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)