Mar 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The NHL has apologized to the Florida organization for a blown interference call during Thursday’s loss in Phoenix, the Sun-Sentinel reports:
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker trampled Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo before Antoine Vermette poked the puck into a vacated net for what turned out to be the game-winning goal in Phoenix’s 2-1 victory late Thursday night.
The referee raised his hand as if he was calling the penalty, but Panthers coach Peter Horachek was told the infraction was going to be on Panthers defenseman Dylan Olsen, who was dragged down by Vermette and onto Luongo in a heap.
A furious Luongo argued the non-call to no avail.
After the game, a Panthers source told the Sun Sentinel that the referee admitted to the on-site NHL referee supervisor that he, “missed the call.”
Another Panthers source said on Friday that the league sent out an apology for the blown call via e-mail.
Here’s the play in question:
“You don’t have the ability to look at video for that situation it makes it hard from that side of the net, but obviously, not the right call,” Panthers head coach Peter Horachek said after the game. “It should’ve been interference, that goal should come back and makes it 1-1.”
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)