Mar 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The NHL has apologized to the Florida organization for a blown interference call during Thursday’s loss in Phoenix, the Sun-Sentinel reports:
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker trampled Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo before Antoine Vermette poked the puck into a vacated net for what turned out to be the game-winning goal in Phoenix’s 2-1 victory late Thursday night.
The referee raised his hand as if he was calling the penalty, but Panthers coach Peter Horachek was told the infraction was going to be on Panthers defenseman Dylan Olsen, who was dragged down by Vermette and onto Luongo in a heap.
A furious Luongo argued the non-call to no avail.
After the game, a Panthers source told the Sun Sentinel that the referee admitted to the on-site NHL referee supervisor that he, “missed the call.”
Another Panthers source said on Friday that the league sent out an apology for the blown call via e-mail.
Here’s the play in question:
“You don’t have the ability to look at video for that situation it makes it hard from that side of the net, but obviously, not the right call,” Panthers head coach Peter Horachek said after the game. “It should’ve been interference, that goal should come back and makes it 1-1.”
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)