Mar 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The NHL has apologized to the Florida organization for a blown interference call during Thursday’s loss in Phoenix, the Sun-Sentinel reports:
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker trampled Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo before Antoine Vermette poked the puck into a vacated net for what turned out to be the game-winning goal in Phoenix’s 2-1 victory late Thursday night.
The referee raised his hand as if he was calling the penalty, but Panthers coach Peter Horachek was told the infraction was going to be on Panthers defenseman Dylan Olsen, who was dragged down by Vermette and onto Luongo in a heap.
A furious Luongo argued the non-call to no avail.
After the game, a Panthers source told the Sun Sentinel that the referee admitted to the on-site NHL referee supervisor that he, “missed the call.”
Another Panthers source said on Friday that the league sent out an apology for the blown call via e-mail.
Here’s the play in question:
“You don’t have the ability to look at video for that situation it makes it hard from that side of the net, but obviously, not the right call,” Panthers head coach Peter Horachek said after the game. “It should’ve been interference, that goal should come back and makes it 1-1.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)