Mar 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings, riddled with injuries, could get Darren Helm in their lineup against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. Then again, maybe not.
According to the Red Wings’ website, Helm has been cleared to play, having missed the last eight games with a concussion. His last game was on March 4, against the New Jersey Devils, when he suffered the injury.
Based on the comments of head coach Mike Babcock, it appears the decision to put Helm in the lineup or not will be made closer to game-time on Saturday.
“I don’t know,” Babcock said, as per The Detroit News. “We’ll see in the morning after warm-up whether he’s ready or not.”
Given their situation, and that includes a fight to make the playoffs, with the Red Wings sitting ninth in the Eastern Conference and one point back of the New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets heading into tonight’s NHL schedule, Helm is eager to get back into game action.
“I’m excited to get back in, obviously,” said Helm, as per the Red Wings’ website. “I want to get back out there and get going with the team.
“A bunch of good skates, cleared by the doctor, did my concussion test, I guess you could call it, did well on that and I feel good and ready to go.”
Helm has appeared in only 29 of Detroit’s 69 games this season.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38