Mar 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings, riddled with injuries, could get Darren Helm in their lineup against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. Then again, maybe not.
According to the Red Wings’ website, Helm has been cleared to play, having missed the last eight games with a concussion. His last game was on March 4, against the New Jersey Devils, when he suffered the injury.
Based on the comments of head coach Mike Babcock, it appears the decision to put Helm in the lineup or not will be made closer to game-time on Saturday.
“I don’t know,” Babcock said, as per The Detroit News. “We’ll see in the morning after warm-up whether he’s ready or not.”
Given their situation, and that includes a fight to make the playoffs, with the Red Wings sitting ninth in the Eastern Conference and one point back of the New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets heading into tonight’s NHL schedule, Helm is eager to get back into game action.
“I’m excited to get back in, obviously,” said Helm, as per the Red Wings’ website. “I want to get back out there and get going with the team.
“A bunch of good skates, cleared by the doctor, did my concussion test, I guess you could call it, did well on that and I feel good and ready to go.”
Helm has appeared in only 29 of Detroit’s 69 games this season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)