Mar 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings, riddled with injuries, could get Darren Helm in their lineup against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. Then again, maybe not.
According to the Red Wings’ website, Helm has been cleared to play, having missed the last eight games with a concussion. His last game was on March 4, against the New Jersey Devils, when he suffered the injury.
Based on the comments of head coach Mike Babcock, it appears the decision to put Helm in the lineup or not will be made closer to game-time on Saturday.
“I don’t know,” Babcock said, as per The Detroit News. “We’ll see in the morning after warm-up whether he’s ready or not.”
Given their situation, and that includes a fight to make the playoffs, with the Red Wings sitting ninth in the Eastern Conference and one point back of the New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets heading into tonight’s NHL schedule, Helm is eager to get back into game action.
“I’m excited to get back in, obviously,” said Helm, as per the Red Wings’ website. “I want to get back out there and get going with the team.
“A bunch of good skates, cleared by the doctor, did my concussion test, I guess you could call it, did well on that and I feel good and ready to go.”
Helm has appeared in only 29 of Detroit’s 69 games this season.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)