Mar 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings, riddled with injuries, could get Darren Helm in their lineup against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday. Then again, maybe not.
According to the Red Wings’ website, Helm has been cleared to play, having missed the last eight games with a concussion. His last game was on March 4, against the New Jersey Devils, when he suffered the injury.
Based on the comments of head coach Mike Babcock, it appears the decision to put Helm in the lineup or not will be made closer to game-time on Saturday.
“I don’t know,” Babcock said, as per The Detroit News. “We’ll see in the morning after warm-up whether he’s ready or not.”
Given their situation, and that includes a fight to make the playoffs, with the Red Wings sitting ninth in the Eastern Conference and one point back of the New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets heading into tonight’s NHL schedule, Helm is eager to get back into game action.
“I’m excited to get back in, obviously,” said Helm, as per the Red Wings’ website. “I want to get back out there and get going with the team.
“A bunch of good skates, cleared by the doctor, did my concussion test, I guess you could call it, did well on that and I feel good and ready to go.”
Helm has appeared in only 29 of Detroit’s 69 games this season.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)