Mar 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
This may be the last week we can do a bubble watch for the Canucks, so let’s get it in while there’s still a mathematical possibility of Vancouver making the playoffs.
According to Sports Club Stats, the Canucks have a 2.0 percent chance of making the postseason. But…BUT…if they win all 10 of their remaining games, that probability leaps all the way to 87.0 percent.
OK, so it’s very, very unlikely that Vancouver gets in. Basically, the Canucks need to be almost perfect — and there hasn’t been a whole lot to suggest they’re capable of being that — and/or hope that both Dallas and Phoenix choke.
Safe to say, once this season’s hope has been officially extinguished, there are going to be some big decisions for this club to make. And it will start with general manager Mike Gillis. Because whoever is making the personnel decisions — be it Gillis or a new general manager — will have to decide whether to keep John Tortorella behind the bench, and then whether to trade the likes of Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, or anyone else that can help the team “get younger, faster and stronger.”
Vancouver last missed the playoffs in 2008. Since then, the Canucks have enjoyed their finest stretch of play since the franchise entered the NHL in 1970. Two times they won the Presidents’ Trophy. They had a trip all the way Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. A Hart Trophy and Art Ross for Henrik Sedin. Another Art Ross for Daniel Sedin. A Selke for Kesler.
Is it the end of an era? Or, can an offseason retooling — as opposed to a full rebuild — bring Vancouver back into contention?
At the very least, Canucks fans have reason to keep watching in young Nicklas Jensen, the 2011 first-round pick who’s scored three times since being called up from the AHL earlier this month.
“I think it’s great for the organization, not just for the team now, but for the future to see guys coming in and pushing for spots,” said Henrik Sedin. “It’s when you have young guys pushing for spots from below and that’s something we haven’t had for … 10 years.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)