Mar 21, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Alex Burrows wouldn’t have any this season.
Having already missed extensive time with a broken jaw and broken foot, Burrows appears to have suffered a serious hand injury after getting slashed by Shea Weber in Vancouver’s 2-0 win over Nashville on Wednesday.
“We don’t have a final medical report yet but it doesn’t look good,” Canucks GM Mike Gillis said on Friday. “The preliminary analysis is not positive.”
Burrows, 32, had finally gotten his season on track over the last two weeks after going goalless over his first 35 games of the year. The shifty winger had nine points — five goals — in his last six games and had developed some nice chemistry with Henrik Sedin and rookie Nicklas Jensen on the club’s makeshift top line.
You can see the Weber slash here, coming while Jensen was netting what proved to be the game-winner against the Preds:
The Nashville captain wasn’t penalized on the play.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)