Mar 21, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
The Bruins certainly aren’t getting their hopes up, but coach Claude Julien — like team president Cam Neely the day before — on Friday wouldn’t rule out the possibility that defenseman Dennis Seidenberg could rejoin the Boston lineup during the playoffs.
The German defenseman had surgery for a torn right ACL/MCL in early January after injuring his knee in a Dec. 27 game against the Ottawa Senators, and the Bruins said at the time he was done for the year.
The best-case scenario is that Seidenberg wouldn’t be ready until deep into a Boston playoff run, and even then there would be some hesitation to parachute someone who hadn’t played in six months into the most important games of the year.
Of late, the Bruins have been doing just fine without Seidenberg. And that’s an understatement. They head into tonight’s game with the Avs on a 10-game winning streak, a streak that’s pushed them four points ahead of Pittsburgh for the top seed in the East.
There does, however, remain concern that Boston’s back end — featuring the likes of Matt Bartkowski, Kevan Miller, Dougie Hamilton, and Torey Krug — lacks the requisite experience to excel in the playoffs.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)